Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXers K3  (Read 5010 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »

I never understood the reason why one would want a narrow filter on the sub RX.  If anything you want to run wide so it helps you to find the station responding to the DX station.  I would forgo the 400hz filter on the sub RX and save $279.

Jonathan W6GX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 10:21:37 AM »

W6GX wrote:
I never understood the reason why one would want a narrow filter on the sub RX.

Jonathan, there is one important application requiring matched filters in the two receivers, and that is for diversity reception-- the application mention by Rich in another thread concerning the K3. 

Chuck  NI0C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »

W6GX wrote:
I never understood the reason why one would want a narrow filter on the sub RX.

Jonathan, there is one important application requiring matched filters in the two receivers, and that is for diversity reception-- the application mention by Rich in another thread concerning the K3. 

Chuck  NI0C

Good point.  I assume one also needs two antennas to take advantage of diversity reception?  One would need a lot of real estate for TWO 160m antennas Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

I assume one also needs two antennas to take advantage of diversity reception?  One would need a lot of real estate for TWO 160m antennas

Yes, two receive antennas are needed.  One of them might also serve as the TX antenna.  Receive antennas can be quite small, though.  See for example: http://www.qsl.net/kc2tx/loopschematic.htm

The biggest problem is achieving adequate spacing between the antennas, and yes, that's where real estate helps.

Chuck  NI0C
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »

Good point.  I assume one also needs two antennas to take advantage of diversity reception?  One would need a lot of real estate for TWO 160m antennas Cheesy

In fact many 160M receive systems are rather small (see e.g. K9AY, Hi-Z) and the null off the back of typical 160M receive loops is very very deep.

One common setup, is to use one steerable directional receive antenna on second receiver, and the transmit antenna (presumably non-directional) on the main receiver. If something is heard on the non-directional antenna not copied by the directional, time to swing direction!

Other times a station might have a really good beverage but only for one or two directions. The monster stations have multiple arrays of beverages!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:14:36 AM by N3QE » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: