Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY decoder  (Read 5154 times)
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2001, 10:43:07 AM »

What does everone use to decode RTTY?  Soundcard or TNC?  What brand and/or program.  I was just wondering.

Thx

Jeremy N1ZZZ
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2001, 12:33:37 PM »

Most everyone uses Soundcard/Software these days...there are a few TNCs still out there...most are of the AEA Pk232 family, from what I've heard.  The Rigblaster stuff has a huge following.  It seems like everyone uses a different software...MMTY comes to mind as being very popular.

I personally use an MFJ 1278B for RTTY and Pactor.

With today's DSP radios, I'm surprised there is still a market for TNCs.

Steve, KE4MOB
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2001, 01:40:16 PM »

Yes MMTTY is a good soundcard decoder for RTTY, the web page at:
http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/mmtty/index.html
Not a lot of RTTY activity these days, most old RTTYer's have switched to PSK31 for the most part.
Calling frequencies for RTTY are at the "080" on HF (14.080 etc.) tune between "080 and "090" you might hear some signals.  On 30 meters tune around 10.142 or so.  RTTY contest weekends is when you will find the most activity.  But for general contacts you will find most on PSK31, around "070" on 40, 20, 15, and 28.120 on 10 meters and 10.140 on 30 meters.  
Other digital mode software can be found at: http://www.digitalham.net/
The most popular is DigiPan, "most" of the software is freeware.

Hope tto see you on PSK31 soon.

Jerry
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2001, 02:08:45 PM »

I have used 3-4 methods for decoding RTTY over the years and I find the sound card DSP technique is the best. I have been using MixW V2.0 for 2 years and find it does a good job on RTTY and other sound card modes. I tried MMTY and it works very well for RTTY as well. Since I have worked you before on Hellschreiber mode, I know you can appreciate having one program with one log that does all modes. ;-)
N8KR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2001, 11:18:17 PM »

The PK-232 is a cheap pick-up on the net or at hamfests and allows afsk and fsk. The fsk advantage allows you to use your rig's cw filters. I found my PK-232 for $20 on ebay!
KA9QWC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2001, 01:48:50 AM »

I still use my Kantronics KAM for RTTY and this TNC initially used with my Commodore 64, but now days I use an old 80286 computer to run RTTY, ASCII, AMTOR and PACTOR. I use my HOST/HOSTMASTER software.

Sounds like the ops with the newer computer gear may like the modern ways they describe. There is the Midwest RTTY Net (MRN) that hass been active over the years on plus or minus 3607 khz in the evenings. Think I used to check in around 8 PM Indiana time.

73 de ka9qwc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: