Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for an amplifier for my icom 718  (Read 2398 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »

Looking for a used 500 to one kilowatt amp for my icom 718..   Also going to purchase an heil icm microphone for my station. Any good sugestions for a good used amp which ones should I stay away from..Thanks for any help or advice ... Have a great day and be safe... Summer is comming up and 80 meters is going to be active...
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »

My suggestion would be Ameritron AL80B, AL 80A, AL811H, AL 811 in that order and of descending price.
These are a good value for the money and cover the bands well.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »

Yaesu FL-7000 ,built like a tank and many around yet for sale. They are hands down the BEST solid state amp around.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »

My suggestion would be Ameritron AL80B, AL 80A, AL811H, AL 811 in that order and of descending price.
These are a good value for the money and cover the bands well.

I would suggest a used AL80 A or B and to other two as they are frequently run too hard and may be damaged. The 811h uses same power supply as 811 and while power supply is MD in 811 it is more light duty in 811h. AL80 has about twice the mass/power supply as 811. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »

Hi Chuck:

I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket thrown
on your fun, we all like new gear.......but maybe that
amp money might be better spent upgrading your
antenna system. Aren't you still working with a G5RV
or an OCF "multi-band" dipole?

Buying an amp requires buying other stuff too,
(if you don't already have it). A 240v line is nice,
and you'll need a bigger tuner, bigger dummy load,.
Then there are RFI issues you may ( or may not) have
to address.

I guess I am saying that an amp isn't a "magic bullet"
for any station....something that'll "let me work everybody".
(Though they make it sound that way in the catalogs!)

You could put up a Hex Beam (or knock-off of same)
on a heavy duty steel mast for the price of a new AL80B.

Yes, I know you mentioned woking the lower bands,
but sometimes ya gotta look at the big picture.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go.
73, Ken   AD6KA
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice.. I went with the new ocf/windom 80 meter thru 6 meter.. Fed with coax
http://www.w8amz.com/

I understand start with the basics.. Thanks and I purchased a new microphone heil icm hand microphone and boom and foot switch..

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hls-icm?seid=dxese1&gclid=CMr8jKDD67YCFbOHMgod4kUAZg 

I am going to wait on the amp for a while just getting my ducks in a row.. I am having issues when I am on 40 meters or 20 meters and I key the radio it shuts off my hdtv . My radio room is in my garage attached to my house. I understand rf is getting back in somewhere. I have to fix this issue first..Any advice on where this is coming in  would be appreciated ... thanks adka  Ken... Remember we were at odds a couple of years ago thanks for burring the hatchet ... Just a mus-understanding...  Take care 73s.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »

I guess I am saying that an amp isn't a "magic bullet"
for any station....something that'll "let me work everybody".

While a antenna can help you will be hard pressed to gain 10 db or more on HF bands just with antenna. I have had many QSO's on 40 that would of been very difficult or impossible without a amp on both ends. I can generally work everything I can hear with a amp

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »

Oftentimes when working DX with poor antennas, hearing the DX station is not the problem -- overcoming the pile-up is. This is where the the 10-11 dB from an amp can really help. You're not likely to gain 10 dB going from a dipole to a beam as you could by getting an amp.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 04:37:36 AM »

While a antenna can help you will be hard pressed to gain 10 db or more on HF bands just with antenna. I have had many QSO's on 40 that would of been very difficult or impossible without a amp on both ends. I can generally work everything I can hear with a amp

There's a natural leapfrogging in the evolution of many stations. When I first started on 160M with 100W and no RX antenna, I could work everyone I could hear. Then I added a receive antenna... and all of a sudden there was a whole world of DX that I could hear but was a struggle to work. Then I added an amp... and now I can work everyone I can hear again. What that means: time to go to the next generation of receive antenna!

The local multi-multis are several generations ahead of me in terms of receive antenna technology on the low bands. And I thought I had a decent station on the low bands :-)

I've heard the term "alligator": all mouth and no ears. I'm more convinced than ever that if I can work everything I can hear... then I need a better RX antenna.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 04:43:38 AM by N3QE » Logged
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:35:04 PM »

On your HDTV shutting down when using the transceiver, I would suggest using a good drop cord to plug the HDTV into another outlet or so to see if it still does that. Sounds like a bad connection on the same circuit, just a guess.
An amp will give you the opportunity for many more QSOs than a good antenna alone. Both would be a better situation, but in order of priorities, my suggestion would be an amp.
I always answer the best signal heard when calling CQ and I would bet most others do also. I support what W8JX and AD6KA wrote for an amp.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: