Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Band Antenna(s) for 2 meter and 6 meter SSB  (Read 3062 times)
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »

What WB2WIK said is painfully true.

Minimally a yagi on 6 even three elements or a moxon, for two I'd say not less than 6 elements.
unless your intent is local use out to maybe 30-50 miles.  Aslo even a dipole on 6 has to be rotated
as the pattern at 20FT is actually like the textbooks!

You only need maybe 6 feet between them (more is better) and at least 20ft more like 30+ feet up.
Without question larger and higher is better on both bands.

With 4 elements on 6 at 20W I"m good to about 120miles, at 200W 300 happens.  For 2M I use an
11 element and with 200W it's solidly good to 150+ and often much more.

Since Es season makes any old went noodle usable I often turn the power down to under 5W SSB
to work Europe to make it interesting.  More often though I need more power to be heard over
the pileup din.  Seriously when Es is in a good antenna makes weak ones into strong and also
gives me equal punch in the out going direction for those with tepid antennas.  Also when the Es
are weak or aurora it can make the differs between barely heard and acceptable copy.

I also have a square loop for 6M and a 6 element for 2M as auxiliary antennas for nets and the
difference is remarkable.

Allison
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »

What's best depends on your budget. Mine was/is limited - I had a 3 el 6m beam and a 14 el cross polarized on 2m, on a cheap TV rotator.
Didn't want to spend $400 on one rated for the load. Cheap rotator didn't point reliably, failed, replaced, repeat. we have santa ana winds out here in SoCalif, and I was lucky the whole stack didn't come down in 10 years. and with the beam pointing not reliably, I missed some contacts. Took down the beams and rotator, replaced with phased Omniangle Loops for 2m,and a single Omniangle loop for 6m. works great! Now I've finally worked some grids in Washington state that I could never hear before because of nulls on the beam.  I have no nulls, and the antennas are never pointed in the wrong direction!
I'm not going for VUCC, just like to make contacts in a contest when the band is open.

Fred, KQ6Q
AK4SK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:12 AM »

My budget is a bit limited so that is certainly an issue. I'm not looking to get into VHF SSB full blown, I have other ham activities to keep me occupied most of the time. I'm mainly just looking to have the capability even if it is far from ideal.

Thanks again for all of the info and suggestions.

Chris AK4SK
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: