Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still No Ammo  (Read 20150 times)
W0DV

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:21 PM »

The weather is finally improving in the Fargo area. I'm looking forward to using my new IC-7200 for portable operation. I frequent the Sheyenne Grasslands with my equipment, and setup a small antenna farm for 3 days or so. I never leave for the grasslands without a .357, or at least a .22

Still no ammo! Why is there a shortage for rim fire ammo, and even the .357 magnum, and 9mm, when the "targeted" weapons use the .223? (5.56mm). The gun ban didn't pass, so I guess I'll have to be patient until the the ammo situation "calms down".

Incidentally, I purchased an AR-15 today. I could only buy one box of ammo Sad

Just a rant,

Dave

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »

Shortage is due to simple hoarding as the 22 cal. is still what the majority of gun owning home owners have and what certain off duty public protection officers prefer.Supply and demand by thoses in the know.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

In my life I have never seen such a gun and ammo craze. Special interests (NRA which is really controlled by gun lobby) is fueling media and media is causing consumer panic and hording. The result is the kind of supply and demand than suppliers love.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »

It is a good thing I reload. Squirrel-cong weekend starts tomorrow. Whoopie! Grin Grin I don't use .22 rimfire. The AR will go through at least 300 rounds.
N0JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »

(NRA which is really controlled by gun lobby)

Well.....  And the 4.2 million or so DUES PAYING members.......  When the government stops making threats against honest gun owners, then things will settle down.  Hopefully very soon!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »

hi,

The NRA is strong, no doubt about that, Gun Owners of America also is involved with Second Amendment issues.

The fact is there are more law abiding citizens, who the media tends to ignore, that own and use firearms lawfully and safely, and do not belong to the NRA or GOA, etc. and these citizens vote.

According to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey – the leading source of international public information about firearms – the U.S. has the best-armed civilian population in the world, with an estimated 270 million total guns. That’s an average of 89 firearms for every 100 residents — far ahead of Yemen, which comes in second with about 55 firearms for every 100 people, or Switzerland, which is third with 46 guns for every 100 people.

73 james

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:59:44 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »

(NRA which is really controlled by gun lobby)

Well.....  And the 4.2 million or so DUES PAYING members.......  When the government stops making threats against honest gun owners, then things will settle down.  Hopefully very soon!

Enhanced background checks and closing loop holes at gun shows only hurts one thing, total guns sales/profits. The amount of "designer" guns on market today is scarey. Many did not even exist 10 ago. Sadly one day there may indeed be gun control but when it happens it will be because the amount of guns in wrong hands is out of control.  Logic would dictate that if you tighten checking today you might starve off tomorrows controls. As far as the 4.2 million, if the other 50 or 100 million want better checks the majority looses?

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N0JI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »

Enhanced background checks and closing loop holes at gun shows only hurts one thing, total guns sales/profits. The amount of "designer" guns on market today is scarey. Many did not even exist 10 ago. Sadly one day there may indeed be gun control but when it happens it will be because the amount of guns in wrong hands is out of control.  Logic would dictate that if you tighten checking today you might starve off tomorrows controls. As far as the 4.2 million, if the other 50 or 100 million want better checks the majority looses?

I guess that the 700,000 amateur radio operators should just get ready to turn over their useful radio spectrum to the far larger number of people who would like to benefit from new and convenient electronic devices that need spectrum too?  Listening to some of the trash on repeaters and 14.313 leads me to believe that it would make sense to limit the amount of time that a transmitter can be active per day.  Lets say 15 minutes.  And a background check to purchase a transmitting device.  Maybe that would keep lids in check?  Heck, as hams we have absolutely NO Constitutional right to use the radio spectrum anyway..... 

I wouldn't want that to happen to hams any more than I want gun owners to be burdened with useless regulation that will have no effect whatsoever on criminals.

Not sure what a "designer" gun is.  My favorite designers are Samuel Colt and John Browning. Smiley
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »

Ammo is loaded and sold to: 

1- Government (1.5 BILLION rounds) No palatable explanation why 70,000 government agents require an average of 1,600 rounds of ammo a year)

2 - Military.  No explanation needed here.

3 - Law Enforcement (all branches)

4 - Civilian

So you can see who's sucking hind tit here!

Consequently, hoarding is rampant.  As for why .22s are in such short supply..... it's a simple question of where the brass, powder and lead is needed..... .223, 9mm, 10mm, .40 and on down the line......which is driven by the previously mentioned demand.

Every ammo manufacturer in the country is operating 24/7 to fill orders.  Imported ammo is at a historical high.

During the past 6 months I have been told by EVERY gun store owner that I know; EVERY Wal-mart sporting goods clerk that I've talked to, that "Barrack Obama has been the greatest gun and ammo salesman they have ever had!"

Predictions that I have read indicate a loosening of demand will happen this fall. I don't believe this because the still hungry #4 Civilians will need to get caught up and will need to satisfy the fear of having this not ever happening to them again.
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »

I'm just a city dweller without an arsenal because there's just no place around here to use it,
but I've still got my Daisy BB gun, and I've managed to hoard 2400 Daisy BB's just in case!

Bob
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 08:19:19 AM »

2400 ? Is THAT all?   Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »

1- Government (1.5 BILLION rounds) No palatable explanation why 70,000 government agents require an average of 1,600 rounds of ammo a year)

2 - Military.  No explanation needed here.

3 - Law Enforcement (all branches)

4 - Civilian

So you can see who's sucking hind tit here!

Consequently, hoarding is rampant.  As for why .22s are in such short supply..... it's a simple question of where the brass, powder and lead is needed..... .223, 9mm, 10mm, .40 and on down the line......which is driven by the previously mentioned demand.

Every ammo manufacturer in the country is operating 24/7 to fill orders.  Imported ammo is at a historical high.

During the past 6 months I have been told by EVERY gun store owner that I know; EVERY Wal-mart sporting goods clerk that I've talked to, that "Barrack Obama has been the greatest gun and ammo salesman they have ever had!"

Predictions that I have read indicate a loosening of demand will happen this fall. I don't believe this because the still hungry #4 Civilians will need to get caught up and will need to satisfy the fear of having this not ever happening to them again.

You can blame the extreme right for gun and ammo sales. Ever presidential election they wave flag and talk god and guns and spread fear through those easily swayed. While I own several guns, none are assault or designer type guns which are of no real sporting value.

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »

I have a relative who is one of those government agents.  Since 9/11 there has been an emphasis on being well qualified with ones sidearm, so they shoot more.  These agents include the Air Marshals, DEA, ATF, etc., etc.  In addition they need ammo to perform their job.  We don't want them scrimping on ammo do we?  The media has made much ado about this.  Much ado about nothing in my opinion.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »

Re: KA1VF
      Collect all the BBs you can,there excellent reloads for 20 ga. shot gun shells which are very effective at close range.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 12:09:15 PM »

In my life I have never seen such a gun and ammo craze. Special interests (NRA which is really controlled by gun lobby) is fueling media and media is causing consumer panic and hording. The result is the kind of supply and demand than suppliers love.

No, I think it Pres. Obama and Sen. Feinstein and other liberal do-gooders wanting to limit what law abiding Americans can own is what is causing the ammo shortage and the increase in gun sales and increase in NRA membership.  Same thing happened when Brady was talked about before it was passed.

Rick wn2c
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: