Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 3744 times)
K4EZD

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »

I use DM780 for psk digital and on the waterfall on 10 meters (28.120) I see thin vertical lines that never vary in frequency or strength.  Are they a carrier for some mode unknown to me or is it local QRM?  Not really a problem but just don't know what it is. 

Thanks. 

Wink

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:13:09 AM »

I use DM780 for psk digital and on the waterfall on 10 meters (28.120) I see thin vertical lines that never vary in frequency or strength.  Are they a carrier for some mode unknown to me or is it local QRM?  Not really a problem but just don't know what it is. 

Thanks. 

Wink

Are the lines there constantly? Meaning if there is no propagation do you still see those lines in the waterfall?

If so then it is local QRN. I tuned to 28.120 at 11:10 UTC and I see two thin lines on the waterfall here.

One is located just below the 500 marker and the other is almost at 2200. I suspect that is local QRN of some sort but it would not likely be strong enough to interfere with a signal. Thin lines, they are not as wide as the marker.
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »

Thanks VE3FMC.  That was it.  It does not really interfere but I didn't recognize what it was.   Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »

Thanks. 

Wink

If you audio input level to sound card is too high it can produce multiple "echos" in waterfall.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AJ4WC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:54:30 AM »

You're seeing a beacon transmitting.  If you turn up the volume on your receiver, you can hear it.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »

You're seeing a beacon transmitting.  If you turn up the volume on your receiver, you can hear it.

Not always the case.  I am looking at my waterfall and there are constant lines on my waterfall about 120 Hz apart.  They are not all beacons.  What I have discovered is that they appear when I use my wireless router and are coning from the switching power supply.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »

You may be looking at JT9 traces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: