Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Ham Radio History  (Read 4013 times)
W2PA

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2013, 06:08:50 AM »

Interested in early ham radio history?  If so, you might like to read about it here:  http://w2pa.net/HRH/  A tour of amateur radio history, beginning around the turn of the last century, it unfolds blog-style in periodic installments or chapters.

73, Chris, W2PA
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »

Bookmarked! 

Last year I endeavored to skim the early years of QST which League members can read on ARRL.org. I concluded that things weren't so different in those halcyon days "when all hams were gentlemen."

You find plenty of grousing about hams who don't QSL and those with wide signals, and there were the outspoken Spark Forever warriors in the 20s. And QST wasn't shy about printing the calls of offenders.

Main diff between then and now: Every op seemed to wear a coat and tie. Smiley

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »

Main diff between then and now: Every op seemed to wear a coat and tie. Smiley

That likely has more to do with the way photographs were treated in those days. 

The "snapshot" or casual photo was not all that common, equipment had to be set up in order to take a shot, often involving not only the camera and lighting, but portable darkroom as well in order to process the plate on site. 

What with all that going on, people tended to treat the photograph more like the situation where they would sit for a painting - and thus would dress up for the event. 

That does not necessarily mean that the same gentlemen would wear suits all the time when operating their amateur gear.

W2PA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »

Recently posted: articles about the beginning of the broadcast boom and its affect on ham radio in the early 1920s.  Also a three-part one about the transatlantic tests of the early 20s, probably the first DXpedition/contest.

Chris, W2PA
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »

I like the old photographs of Amateur stations with the large, diploma-form Department of Commerce operator license hanging on the wall.  I wish we had them today. 

Neil N3DF
W2PA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:39:25 AM »

Recently posted: the first DX QSO between North America and Europe, and the beginnings of international amateur radio.

Chris, W2PA
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:10:39 AM »

You also notice from so many of the photos  that most hams smoked then, too.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »

Great articles! Thanks for posting. I'll be reading these on the plane today. Here's another very good collection:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

Yes, it's excellent. There's also an incredibly active Ham Radio History Yahoo Group. I never see it mentioned on Eham. I started to join, but I'm kinda full-up on Yahoo Groups for the time being.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Ham-Radio-History/info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: