Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orion Software Update - PORT NOT AVAILABLE ??  (Read 1595 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »

Trying to help update Orion software with a friend. serial DB9 to computer, downloaded Ten Tec's software (firmware) but cannot get the software to the Orion, PORT NOT AVAILABLE....anyone have any solution?  Same RS232 cable runs HRD on two other radios, disconnected and tried to down load the file to the radio..no joy...
WA2ASB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »

Since you have had no replies to date, I'll throw in my 2 cents: this really sounds like a software problem, not a problem with the cable.  Hopefully you are not running Windows Vista on his machine or Windows 7.  I've found that Windows XP is the most stable.  If you have or can borrow a laptop running XP, try it with that.
N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »

Have you tried this? ....
Shut down HRD entirely.
Shut down everything else that uses the serial port. 
Shut down the computer (power off).
Disconnect the serial cable from any other devices besides the Orion.
Connect to the Orion, and only it. 
Start up the computer. 
  Do NOT start any programs that use the serial port (e.g., HRD).
Update the Orion. 

W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »

Since you have had no replies to date, I'll throw in my 2 cents: this really sounds like a software problem, not a problem with the cable.  Hopefully you are not running Windows Vista on his machine or Windows 7.  I've found that Windows XP is the most stable.  If you have or can borrow a laptop running XP, try it with that.

I am running XP and have tried to load the software downloaded off the web from TT's site and just won't talk to the radio.  I am not sure if I have to run HRD to get the software loaded from the file from TT or not.  Doubt that.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »

Have you tried this? ....
Shut down HRD entirely.
Shut down everything else that uses the serial port. 
Shut down the computer (power off).
Disconnect the serial cable from any other devices besides the Orion.
Connect to the Orion, and only it. 
Start up the computer. 
  Do NOT start any programs that use the serial port (e.g., HRD).
Update the Orion. 

Nothing is hooked to the computer on that port or on the radio.  Software was downloaded from TT's site (will have to investigate more on that too) which is then saved to the computer.  Trying to download to the radio indicates PORT NOT AVAILABLE.  Nothing else is tied to computer or to radio.

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »

The firmware download from Tentec includes the software to communicate with the Orion for the firmware update.  Having struggled through this quite a while back, it's pretty clear that there's something not quite right in the Tentec software that does the communications, but they deny that.  I have a number of real serial ports on my PC and can communicate with the Orion II over any of those from any other software.  But, the Tentec update software will work only with the first port on the PC (com 1 in this case).  There has been a lot of discussion about such problems on the Orion Yahoo group and there used to be a utility accessible in the Files section there that supposedly checks the serial ports.  In my case, that checked out OK, but the Tentec software still couldn't access the ports.  I assume that you're setting up the Orion to properly accept the firmware download.  If you don't do that, you may also get a message indicating a problem with the port. 

73, K8AC
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »

There isn't much to set from what I can tell, two baud rates and multiple ports like up to 15?  I have tried that and no joy.  The radio won't even connect to HRD using auto detect on the port speed, port number and RTS/CTS and/or DTR.  So about ready to give up.  Would likely have to send it in for a simple software verison update.  Never ran into that with any other radio.  Of course, I have asked TT but getting little to go on, if anything.....

I connect the RS232 port of the computer to my Kenwood, ICOM, YAesu and HRD connects to them each and evertime.

So, I know the computer port is okay, just cant get it to see the TT or vice versa.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »

Well, getting zero help out of TT, can't find any recommndations on line, so going to try and do another master reset and see.  If not, I suspect the RS232 Port on the radio must be bad.  Nothing else points to anything else.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: