Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP and SSB  (Read 19842 times)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »

whilst running a QRO station certainly does work reliably,
- there is much more satisfaction in getting a QRP contact,
especially if both stations are QRP based.

a discussion of which antennae worked, - would be in order, though.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »

Re: VK6IS

In reference to antennas, here's a run down from my end. The majority of my CW 2x qrp DX and stateside contacts contacts use some type of wire beam (Hex, Spider, Moxon) at average height of 32 ft., yes I keep records of such things in my log. My own homebrew 20m Hex is at 25 ft., i.e. my last 2x qrp  QSO last evening with Vern AA7VW in Salem, OR. using a Moxon and K2@ 10W (I don't quibble over 5 w) and my Hex/K1 @5w combo. My Hex also gets my 2.5w MFJ CUB out to K6KPH Historical Marine Radio Station in Pt. Reyes,Ca. when they operate. Of course I have to take  advantage of the 3 hr. early evening gray line to do this along with the regular E to W Coast QRP opening between 1100-1300 EST. Power or cost of rig is not an issue, antenna and propagation knowledge is.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »

My record so far is Argentina from the UK, a distance of 7500 miles, on 17m SSB with 1W and my Hexbeam at 34ft.

I've listened to a UK /pedestrian mobile station, G7DIE, operating from Blackpool seafront work Australia on 20m SSB with 250mW so that's my challenge.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

Power or cost of rig is not an issue, antenna and propagation knowledge is.

BINGO!

One of my most memorable contacts was with VQ9LA on 80 meters (Yes, I'm bragging  Grin, but seriously - I was blown away, I didn't even know it was possible) It was a grey line contact running a K2 @ 5 watts to a windom @ 40'. I actually turned off the rig and had decided it must have been a mistake or pirate. Then it showed up in LoTW. And then I got the card!

I apologize that I don't have any SSB comments to add because I don't work SSB, but I really enjoyed reading the SSB comments and stories. Thanks all!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: