Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDTV shutting off  (Read 765 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »

My ham shack is in my garage which is attached to my house. The family room and garage are hooked together. When I am on 40 meters or 20 meters when running a 100 watts it shuts off my hdtv and cable box. It did it with my older antenna g5rv and the new windom/ofc antenna 

http://www.w8amz.com/

I was wondering if I spread the legs of the antenna futher apart it might fix the issue. Any suggestions greatly appreciated...   kc8ktn/chuck     73s. 
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »

I was wondering if I spread the legs of the antenna futher apart it might fix the issue.

I am not sure what you mean by that. 
If by your question, you mean to raise the ends of the antenna, I don't think that will help, but it certainly would not hurt to try.

My first question is: How high is the feedpoint of your antenna and how far offset from the TV - Cable Box (i.e. - Is it right overhead?)
It may be near field interference.  That is; there is just lots of RF getting into the TV & Cable Box causing it to reset.

A good test to see if if it is the antenna, is to transmit into a dummy load, and see if the same thing happens. If it does not (my guess) that will tell you it is in fact the radiation of RF from the antenna that is causing the symptoms.  If it does display the same symptoms then the RF is getting to the TV & Cable Box another way, more than likely through the house wiring.  If this is the case it involves work to eliminate the RF from the wiring. Ferrites are always a good start in this direction.  Also make sure your TV & Cable Box are plugged into a GOOD surge suppressor. Note the word - GOOD - Some of the bargain basement "power strips" are not worth picking up, much less relying on to protect your equipment. 

Clint - W5CPT -
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

G5RV should have an ugly balun at feedpoint as well, to prevent RF from running back down the coax shield. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: