Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood SW-2000 meter  (Read 2613 times)
N4ECM

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »

Can anyone tell me how to fix the PEP reading on a Kenwood SW-2000 meter?  The average reading and SWR work fine.  I am not very good on circuits but was told it is a diode that needs to be replaced.  I am using the SWC-3 coupler.  Is this right and what diode is it and is it on the coupler or on the display unit? 

Thanks for any help.
Don, N4ECM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »

Make sure you have the 12Vdc power cable plugged in for the PEP meter function to work; otherwise, it won't.

Assuming the meter is really getting the 12Vdc power: The coupler unit has nothing to do with AVG or PEP.  Only the "meter" unit does.

The only parts in the meter unit that create the PEP reading function are IC201 (LM358), D2 (1K261), D3 (1S1588) and C207 (2.2 uF capacitor), everything else are just a few resistors and small value (.01uF) caps that are unlikely to ever fail.

I'd check to be sure 12Vdc is really getting to the IC, and then check or replace the IC.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »

How do you actually determin the incorrect reading? It would be helpful to have an accurate description of the erroneous indication.
N4ECM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies. 

Thank you WB2WIK.  It sounds like you know what you're doing.  I will check everything as you suggested. 
I do have a 12 VDC power source hooked to it and the panel lights come on, but as far as it getting power
to the other things I'll have to check as you outlined.

How I know the reading is in error is because there is no reading at all in PEP mode but I get an accurate
reading in average mode.

Thanks again and wish me luck....I'll need it!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:41:27 PM »

No reading could also mean that the switch (S204 in the schematic, PEP/AVG) does not make proper contact.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

The most common error when using the SW-2000 is to reverse the polarity of the 12v plug.  The center pin is ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: