The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice about radio with serial number problem  (Read 9770 times)
K0LSR

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »

Hi everyone,

Some time ago I bought a very nice HF radio from a gentleman and was very happy with the deal.  I really didn't look closely at the serial number plate on back as I don't see any need on a years old radio.

I recently sold the radio to a local ham and a day or so later he let me know that the serial number had been cut out of the factory label and a small strip with another number was placed over the cut.  He called Icom and they confirmed that the number on the radio was actually from a handheld marine radio.

My question is where do I go from here?  I now feel that I may have unknowingly bought a stolen radio.  There is no way to ever find out the actual serial number of the radio at this point.  It looks and works just great and I would like to sell it to someone who will use it. 

Do you think this is ethical?  How should I describe the radio with a missing serial number?  Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »

I don't see where there is much you can do. Even if somebody says they had a radio like that stolen there would be no way to prove it was theirs, or that they were not just trying to scam you.
K0LSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »

Thanks for the input.  You're right of course.  I guess that I can post it for sale and just let potential buyers know that it has no serial number and let it go at a discount.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »

occasionally the serial will also be "engraved" into the NVram of a modern radio, and can be recovered.  now comes the question of whether there is a registry of whose radio was stolen, by serial number.  unlikely this is nationally maintained.

a sainted good citizen, on determining the actual s/n of a questionable radio, will notify police to see if they can find the original owner.  perhaps even post "hey, I just bought a Yakencomm FU666 off eBay with internal serial QZX123456LX, anybody missing one? display missing the period and a red clock-radio knob on clarifier."

or so rumor has it, haven't heard of one yet.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:35:18 AM by KD0REQ » Logged
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »

There may be as many people who will respond that it is theirs as there are people stealing them to start with.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »

I'd post the make and model number and ask if anyone is missing one. If so, send me the serial number and I'll let you know if this is it.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:21:15 AM »

Re: AA4PB

Not only the serial number but also a recent picture of his shack station desk indicating the spot where "his" missing radio once occupied.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:59:22 AM »

And then are you willing to part with the radio for free if the person were found?

Also bear in mind that person who "lost it" may have collected insurance on it already. Puts you out what you paid for it, and the other person the ability to collect on it twice.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:03:01 AM »

You are what is called a "BFP"   in the legal trade,  meaning you bought the unit in the ordinary course of business and paid "real money" for it.  This means you didn't buy it from "Mr. X" who was selling it from the back of a truck with cut cables hanging off it.  I'd be talking to the "gentleman" who sold it to you, though.  You may have recourse against HIM if HE bought it that way.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »

now that it's well ventilated in here, use it.  if you want to help a newbie out, loan it.  make a note about when and where you got it, in case the gendarmes knock on the door one day, so you can hand the note over with the radio.

fact is, without some experts fiddling around, you aren't going to get the s/n and can't use it to find the original owner and see how it got to have a funky serial number not apparently assigned at the factory.  it's practically untraceable.

if it fails hard, part it out.

back in the day, Nikon had a professional user registry (NPC) for their cameras, which helped solve a few thefts.  registrants could also borrow some interesting and expensive accessories as a perk.  nobody does that in this hobby.
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »

Not wanting to ever go to jail I would file a police report. Problem is you may lose the radio. In many states it is a felony to deface S/N on electronic equipment. If the person you sold it to had filed a report the police would have been knocking on your door. Maybe even with a search warrant in hand and checking all your equipment. This isn't meant to scare you. Just check the laws in your area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: