Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rules and Regs; Recent FCC enforcement, query ?  (Read 4631 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »

Furthermore, an unlicensed individual may operate an Amamateur station in the United States if a licensed control operator is present. All the identification rules, frequency rules, power rules must be followed and correct operation is the responsibility of the control operator.

It is not the voice (fist) on the air that must be licensed, it is the control operator. There are some third party communicaitons rules to possibly complicate things, but that applies more often to international contacts.

KF7CG
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »

Furthermore, an unlicensed individual may operate an Amamateur station in the United States if a licensed control operator is present. All the identification rules, frequency rules, power rules must be followed and correct operation is the responsibility of the control operator.

It is not the voice (fist) on the air that must be licensed, it is the control operator. There are some third party communicaitons rules to possibly complicate things, but that applies more often to international contacts.

KF7CG

None the less , op has a call sign and must be present during the QSO, so they should be able to answer any questions you may have.
I don't think there are too many, if any, "bootleg ops" on CW.
This is getting way off topic from the original question.

WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

You also have to remember that you can find guys on US repeaters who don't know that "W7 slash G3RZP Portable" is a valid legal call covering legal reciprocal operating - and to be told "What the heck type of call is that? you must be illegal!" is more than slightly irritating!

Especially now I've had the basic callsign for 50 years!
I have had some European calls on one of my repeaters over the decades....IDing legit and the users talked with them with no issues; Oh, the "portable" suffix is not necessary...(BTW the format is different for Canadian hams..they ID with their call FOLLOWED by /Wx as a suffix)
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »

Don't forget, also, that in many countries (Canada for certain), unlicensed individuals can use amateur radio stations as long as a licensed amateur is in control of the station.  Typically these individuals would identify themselves as using the control operator's callsign as being that of their station.
Same is true in the US under FCC Part 97.....However, knowing FCC inspectors as I do (one is an old high school friend of mine), if the bootlegger can be tracked down by talking to them, the FCC would not cite the legit hams....only the illegal operator...it's happened before.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: