Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another QSO Party Weekend: Indiana, 7-Land and New England  (Read 7709 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:27:11 AM »

The Indiana, 7th call area and New England QSO parties are all this weekend, meaning there is lots of activity. The N1MM contest logging software has a contest module called IN7QPNE that lets you log QSOs for all three contests in one log and send one log file (called the Cabrillo file) to all three contest sponsors. Details below.

You can see info on all three contests here.

73 John K3TN

Three QSO parties - the 7QP (7th Call Area QSO Party), Indiana QSO Party, and New England QSO Party - are all on the same weekend. Since 2010, the program software allows users to log stations active in all three QSO parties and automatically determine the state multiplier from the received exchange (other contest county exchange). Log the exact exchange that is received and send the same Cabrillo output to all four contest sponsors. If you are an "in-state" user of one of these QSO parties, select the appropriate state party option in the QSO party contest selector. If you are "out-of-state" for all contests this weekend, select the IN7QPNE option in the dropdown state selector. The instructions are the same, log the exchange that you receive and send the same Cabrillo file without editing to all three sponsors. All sponsors re-calculate the score of all submissions.

N1MM supports the 7QP shorthand county exchanges (e.g.,"ORDES/JEF" or "IDFRA/UTCAC") and will log one QSO for each valid exchange.

John K3TN
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

I was getting ready to post a thread myself about this.  What do people usually do when there are multiple QSO parties in one weekend?  Do you try to work all of them, or do you tend to pick one and only focus on that one?

John AF5CC
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:55:51 AM »

Well, there are some state QSO parties that generate a lot of activity: CA, GA, FL, OH, PA, etc. Then there are many that get very low levels of activity, like MD, HI, SD, DE, etc. And, of course, some that fall somewhere in between. On the low activity ones, there are often more than one during a weekend, but I usually do my regular operating (mostly chasing DX or looking for SOTA operations) and if I hear someone calling CQ, I'll answer them to give them a point but I don't really look for them, or really focus on the contest. I usually just make a few contacts and do it in my day to day logging software (DXLab).

Luckily, the high activity ones usually are the only QSO party in a given weekend, but there is often (actually, pretty much always) at least one DX contest that same weekend. Then, I will usually start up my contest logging program (N1MM) and may end up setting up multiple contests and working both the QSO party and the DX contests.

State QSO parties lend themselves to this: usually in a 15 minute sweep you can work all the stations calling CQ, then do something else. Then, after 30 minutes to an hour, many of the mobile stations will have moved to new counties, and a few new home stations may have started up, and you can make another sweep. Very multi-tasking friendly!

John K3TN
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »

In the past, I picked one QSP party and stuck with it.
Usually, I would concentrate on the New England QP.

This year, I'm going to try the IN7QPNE option and "do" all
three, just for grins.

I don't work many QSO Parties these days, because I find them to be
more of a "BS" party than a QSO Party/Contest.
I even skipped the PA QP in 2012, and I am IN PA.
I am more interested in making the contact and moving on,
than I am with kibbitzing with the other op.

PLUS, I hate when the other in-state guy decides to
BS with his friends 2 miles away that he just saw at the club
meeting for 10 minutes when others are waiting in the wings to call him.
So let's see what happens this year.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:42:13 AM »

Do you try to work all of them, or do you tend to pick one and only focus on that one?

John AF5CC
The answer depends on your situation, especially if you are working on WAS or specific band/mode endoresements.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »

Not a lot of activity so far.
Only have 80 Q's from 7 area & Indiana.

NEQP starts in 4 minutes, so maybe it will pick up.

K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:41 AM »

There was a lot of 7-land activity on 20 on Saturday. When the NEQP kicked in, made the low bands much more active but not that many mobiles on in NEQP.

I didn't get on very much on Sunday, but ended up with around 175 QSOs across all 3. The N1MM IN7NEQP module worked great - handled all the county line ops fine, though I forgot to try it for the one "triple county" guy I worked - don't know if a/b/c would have worked for the exchange, but a/b worked great.

John K3TN
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »

Triple county guy...

I found one of them....K7LIX in Oregon, I think.

Ended with 311 Q's, 166 mults & 91,134 points.
Submitted logs to all three QSO Parties.

All in all, not a bad weekend.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »

Triple county guy...

I found one of them....K7LIX in Oregon, I think.

I operated 3 counties and 3 states - the Three Corners intersection of Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah. Details at http://qrz.com/db/N7SMI I got blown off the mountain by extreme winds after 7 hours, but managed 591 QSOs. A highlight was working K7LIX - his 3 counties times my 3 counties gave us each 9 QSOs in one contact. That's the first time I've ever ran a 9 QSO/minute rate. :-)
K1RAX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »

I see you in our log (NZ1U) 3 times:  CW on 80, 40, and 20....    I was running phone so hopefully the CW guys weren't BSing too much Smiley

Thanks for the QSO's!

In the past, I picked one QSP party and stuck with it.
Usually, I would concentrate on the New England QP.

This year, I'm going to try the IN7QPNE option and "do" all
three, just for grins.

I don't work many QSO Parties these days, because I find them to be
more of a "BS" party than a QSO Party/Contest.
I even skipped the PA QP in 2012, and I am IN PA.
I am more interested in making the contact and moving on,
than I am with kibbitzing with the other op.

PLUS, I hate when the other in-state guy decides to
BS with his friends 2 miles away that he just saw at the club
meeting for 10 minutes when others are waiting in the wings to call him.
So let's see what happens this year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: