The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Band Install in a 2013 Ford Explorer  (Read 15443 times)
KS6PD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »

Look on the main wiring harness grommet. There is an extra teat just for the purpose (aftermarket sound systems actually).

Thanks Alan. I know you are the guru when it comes to this stuff. Unfortunately the engine compartment is so pack, I can't find one. Even if it did, where would it pop out at? Any pics you have you might be able to pass on showing this?
KS6PD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »

Look on the main wiring harness grommet. There is an extra teat just for the purpose (aftermarket sound systems actually).

I know you highly recommend AGAINST a cig lighter for power, in the 2016 explorer, the rear cargo space cig power adaptor is rated at 15 amps / 150 watts. What are your thoughts on using a power pole cigbuddy in this application to power a radio under the rear pass seat?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 05:29:04 AM »

The real issue is voltage drop. If the 2016 is like the 2015 (I highly suspect it is) the rear power outlet is wired with #16. Drawing a few mils, perhaps an amp or two, might be okay. But drawing 10 amps will drop the voltage about ≈2 volts (I really do not know how long the wire is so I can't get closer). That means the voltage will be ≈10.2 at the socket with the engine off. That is a bit too low for any modern FM transceiver.

KS6PD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »

The real issue is voltage drop. If the 2016 is like the 2015 (I highly suspect it is) the rear power outlet is wired with #16. Drawing a few mils, perhaps an amp or two, might be okay. But drawing 10 amps will drop the voltage about ≈2 volts (I really do not know how long the wire is so I can't get closer). That means the voltage will be ≈10.2 at the socket with the engine off. That is a bit too low for any modern FM transceiver.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for your insight
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: