Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Left Handed Keys  (Read 4717 times)
KF5HTB

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »

I have just started learning CW. I was wondering if any companies make single lever left handed equipment, or if the equipment is such that it can be changed over?
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

The only keys that are inherently "handed" (that I can think of anyway) would be bugs.  The others are mostly ambi.  A few have finger pieces that go one way or the other, like the Vibro-keyer.  But I think it's just a matter of taking out a screw and turning the finger pieces over if you want to convert them.

Mike
N5RDE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »

VIZKEY makes left-handed single paddles for electronic keyers. and also manufactures left handed semi-automatic (bug) keys: www.vizkey.com .

VIBROPLEX manufacturers left-handed semi-automatic (bug) keys: www.vibroplex.com   .

Probably BEGALI makes left-handed single paddle keys as well, but I don't know.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »

I'm missing the point of a left-handed single lever paddle.
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »

I have just started learning CW. I was wondering if any companies make single lever left handed equipment, or if the equipment is such that it can be changed over?

Just reverse the dit and dah wires...or maybe I am not understanding the problem.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »

Just reverse the dit and dah wires...or maybe I am not understanding the problem.

On a semiautomatic key (or "bug"), there are no separate dit/dah terminals, only one set of normally-open contacts used to key the transmitter directly, with no keyer involved.  If you're left handed, you can special-order a southpaw Vibroplex.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »

Just about any single or dual level paddle can be right or left handed.. just reverse the dit and dah wires (something such as benchers, begalis, k8ra, n3zn, etc).

Vibroplex vibrokeyer or bug you might have a problem due to their design. I think you might be able to order those setup for left handed.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

I use a left-handed Allen wrench, a left-handed screwdriver and other common tools to adjust my paddles. Cheesy

If you're just starting out on CW, possibly you should use a left-handed straight key.

That's the same as a right-handed straight key, but you move it more to the left on the desk.
KF5HTB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »

Thanks for the responses! I am going to HamCom this weekend and see what I can find.
N5XH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »

If you're just starting out on CW, possibly you should use a left-handed straight key.

I have one of each.  I'm practicing to be ambisinistrous. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: