Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (M)CW on 2m: which frequency range?  (Read 4888 times)
K7RNO

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »

One has got to make do with what's available, and for me, it is MCW on 2m because that is all I have, unless a (medical) miracle happens.

With my radio op/Navy background, CW is not the issue. With my terminal illness, I don't have enough time left to justify investing into HF gear, so 2m has got to be it.

My question is about frequencies in that band. With modulated CW, not carrier-only CW, do I have to use the band above 144.1 MHz, or the small section from 144 to 144.1 MHz, or can I use either?

I am using the keyer that was designed by Norman Wilford W1TLZ, introduced in the April QST (pg. 37), together with my Yaesu FT-60 and a Junker straight key. Works very well.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »

Just found the answer: only above 144.1 is available for FM, which I'd be doing. The fact that it is Morse code I would be sending does not make it CW. So there, topic closed  Smiley

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

Just found the answer: only above 144.1 is available for FM, which I'd be doing. The fact that it is Morse code I would be sending does not make it CW. So there, topic closed  Smiley

Your right it is not CW but MCW and there may be quite a few locals around your area that may want to learn Morse code.  You could be a teacher of the oldest form of radio communication to some who want to learn it.  I was just talking to some one tonight and this subject came up and doing it on the club repeater for maybe an hour on Saturday night as there is no nets that night.  Now where did I put the April issue of QST so I can get that parts list?  Sounds like fun!

Rick  wn2c
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »

This may just be a mental exercise, but FM without modulation is CW, right?  I wonder if the T/R on the 2m rig is fast enough to allow you to connect a key to the PTT switch, and send CW.

Since the FM rig doesn't have BFO, receiving would be a problem, though.

N8YQX
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »

doing CW with a FM rigs, MCW is the only way to make it two way comm.  there have been some articles in QST on simple setups to make the keying less clumsy than sending on the DTMF pad.
KD8POH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 01:54:37 AM »

CW operation is permitted throughout all amateur bands. MCW is authorized above 50.1 MHz, except for 144.0-144.1 and 219-220 MHz.
So, on 2 meters, above 144.1 should be fine for MCW.

Have you considered using a computer to generate the Morse tones? There are several free programs that let you use the keyboard or mouse to tap out Morse. Then use a male-to-male audio cable from the computer headphone jack to the radio mic input jack?
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »

POH, thanks for the confirmation of the frequencies.

Regarding RX and TX of Morse code, you may have missed my underlying intention of using and rejuvenating slightly rusty but ingrained skills.

Using a computer to en-and decode Morse code on an FM frequency would not make any sense and would take all the fun out of sending and reading code. The thread "The Thrill is Back" in this forum covers that very well, so I don't have to elaborate here  Wink

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »

If you want to transmit CW 2 meters is fine. If you would like to make contacts HF is the way to go.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »

To put an end to this, I purchased an Elecraft KX3  Cool

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 03:28:08 AM »

Congrats on the KX3. I too have a KX3 and it's a nice radio.

I see you live in Provo. I live in Tooele so if you need someone to string up an HF antenna give me a buzz here or via email.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: