Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7Q active  (Read 1773 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »

Looks like Joe (7Q7BP) is on from Malawi tonight as 7Q7FOC. Truly nasty pileup; he's only working up 500Hz and my Mark V just can't cut out a horde that close in, even with the roofing filter, a pair of 250 Hz Inrads, and 60 Hz via DSP. Really wanting a K3, damnit. Still managed to make the Q thanks to Big AL, but the Mark V is really showing its weakness in a pile like that.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:18:47 PM »

I think he's simplex, Heaven help him...

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »

Guys 500hz up aren't a problem...........the problem in that pile is the ops calling zero beat he is working also.

The other problem is the usual majority who keep calling and never listen.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »

No, he wasn't simplex officially but may as well have been. 400-500Hz split was brutal, with big guns from both sides of the Atlantic calling him. 252 for the 2013 Marathon in the log. Still kicking myself for missing out on the ZL7 earlier this year. I think I missed a few others too.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »

I think I missed a few others too.

You did.  My buddy has 255 Cheesy  Now go kick yourself a few more times Grin

Your club is still WAY ahead of my club on the club league though...

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »

It's this Marathon thing that is making all the pileups so crazy lately. Yesterday 8Q7KP was calling for only those that need 8Q7 for an all time new one.  You should have heard all the big gun honor roll guys calling him regardless of his instructions.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »

Looks like Joe (7Q7BP) is on from Malawi tonight as 7Q7FOC. Truly nasty pileup; he's only working up 500Hz and my Mark V just can't cut out a horde that close in, even with the roofing filter, a pair of 250 Hz Inrads, and 60 Hz via DSP. Really wanting a K3, damnit. Still managed to make the Q thanks to Big AL, but the Mark V is really showing its weakness in a pile like that.

I thought all CW guys have a set of organic filters in their auditory system Wink  Perhaps you need to have yours checked by an audiologist.

I heard the pile up and I didn't want to try unless I have the German Tsunami amplifier.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »

It's this Marathon thing that is making all the pileups so crazy lately. Yesterday 8Q7KP was calling for only those that need 8Q7 for an all time new one.  You should have heard all the big gun honor roll guys calling him regardless of his instructions.

For dxpeditions the marathoners should be grouped into a 'new' continent Grin 

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »

Yeah, I think there have been over 260 so far this year. I just hit 253 a few hours after posting this initially; A25CF came up on 20 Phone overnight. I know I missed JD/m and ZL7 for sure and I think at least one of the WAE/CQ only 4Us (VIC or WB).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:30:11 PM »

Yeah, I think there have been over 260 so far this year. I just hit 253 a few hours after posting this initially; A25CF came up on 20 Phone overnight. I know I missed JD/m and ZL7 for sure and I think at least one of the WAE/CQ only 4Us (VIC or WB).

JD/M will return again.  I don't know if my buddy worked him.  On paper you have the advantage on VU7- we'll find out soon.  I also know that my buddy worked A5 several times this year.  I'm not sure if you are even aware of the A5 activities.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:02 PM »

I was in a pileup on a previous 8Q dxpedition earlier this year.  It was a tense moment since I was chasing 8Q for an ATNO.  All of sudden a famous guy comes along and joins the pile up.  You know, the guy who is in the DXing hall of fame, #1 top of HR, past winner of the DX marathon, etc.  It looks like that won't be the only time I will compete with a marathoner for an ATNO.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »

I was in a pileup on a previous 8Q dxpedition earlier this year.  It was a tense moment since I was chasing 8Q for an ATNO.  All of sudden a famous guy comes along and joins the pile up.  You know, the guy who is in the DXing hall of fame, #1 top of HR, past winner of the DX marathon, etc.  It looks like that won't be the only time I will compete with a marathoner for an ATNO.

Jonathan W6GX

Yeah, you are correct.........It DOES suck.
One of the "famous" DX how to book author types was heard doing the same thing by my friend.

73, Gene AF3Y
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »

I am not sure how I feel about the whole Marathon thing. Although it makes sense to me that everyone is entitled to work whatever DX they want (so long as the DX is calling for you). It sucks for the littler guys like me, but life isn't exactly fare in other facets either.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:54 AM »

Our local DX club has their own version of the Marathon that I participate in just for fun. Last year I had a total score of 290 (250 countries + 40 Zones), although not stellar, not too bad for a working stiff here on the West Coast Smiley Although it may increase the competition in the pileups, it does keep the bands active and I think that's the purpose of it to begin with.

John K7KB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

Disclaimer- I did submit a score for the 2012 marathon.  However I did this only after I found out how many countries I worked in 2012 and the result would make a nice score.  I was just having fun chasing DX after I erected my tower in Jan. 2012.  I never intended to compete in the marathon the whole time.

On a positive note regarding the marathon is that it puts some fun back in ham radio for someone who has been chasing DX for a long time.  My buddy is doing it this year and he said he has never had so much fun in 41 years.  I don't condemn the DX marathon.  I condemn bad behavior while chasing DX for the marathon.  I also condemn marathoners working in the same pile up as me when I need the DX for an ATNO Grin

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: