Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7Q active  (Read 2237 times)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »

I also condemn marathoners working in the same pile up as me when I need the DX for an ATNO Grin

Jonathan W6GX

LOL Smiley Well post a list of those ATNO's you need and if I hear you in a pileup I PROMISE not to call when you are going for your new one  Grin And Gene will just YAWN because he's already worked it Smiley

John K7KB
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:40:52 AM by K7KB » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:59 AM »

One of the "famous" DX how to book author types was heard doing the same thing by my friend.

Consider that Bob actually won the Marathon several years in a row, so it's hardly surprising that you heard him in the pileups!

JD/M will return again.  I don't know if my buddy worked him.  On paper you have the advantage on VU7- we'll find out soon.  I also know that my buddy worked A5 several times this year.  I'm not sure if you are even aware of the A5 activities.

Bhutan, yeah, I got A52SV last month. I'm sure hoping to get Krish on VU7. It's not a tough path for me and I'll certainly be in the hunt, especially if they come up on 10 or 12 where I still need them. The only Marathon point I know I won't have much of a shot at (and also potential ATNO for em) will be Simon in XZ. Low power, PSK31 and a killer path to east coast NA = unlikely. I don't think I'll be serious in the Marathon again after this year; at least not for a few years anyways. I'm after 273 or more, which would be a new personal best-ever.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »

I am not sure how I feel about the whole Marathon thing. Although it makes sense to me that everyone is entitled to work whatever DX they want (so long as the DX is calling for you). It sucks for the littler guys like me, but life isn't exactly fare in other facets either.

I agree completely and think this is an interesting issue for discussion.  I wonder what percentage of an entity like SV2/A's annual QSOs are the same Marathon chasers every year?  I haven't been a DXer long enough to know what pileups were like before the Marathon existed, and I'm happy to work who I can and don't lose sleep if I don't.  I do think if an op like N6PSE thinks it might be creating negative behavior, it might be an issue to discuss.  Good thread...
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »

I think it's kinda fun in a sense but it does create bedlam at times. Then again, for Marathon, it's just one Q per entity per year. For the vast majority of entities that's not a big deal. I think I kinda liked it more when it was just me competing against myself, trying to better my previous year's entity total by one.

But say what you will, it does keep band activity high and may be quite beneficial around solar minimum.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: