Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: xmit off a packet pileup. Which way?  (Read 1527 times)
KD7HNN

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »

I read where its a good idea to use xmit to call off a packet pileup by 100hz (0.10) so you do not zero beat the packet guys. Does it make a difference which way off the spotted freq you call (high or low)? I was wondering if there was a natural way a DX stations tunes to pick up callers.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »

If the pileup is really thin, then going "up 1.1" or "1.2" instead of "up 1" works good for me. Sometimes "up 0.9" is good too. I actually avoid the "nice round numbers" and aim for something random. I think some loggers will automatically randomize your position for you with the proper setting.

If it's not very thin... Sometimes the guy will work the exact same split over and over again, other times they are trending up or down in a pattern, other times it seems to be random. Figuring out the guys pattern is key, and that means listening. I would say more trend up than down but not by much.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »

Packet? Is that psk31 or is that another mode that I should investigate?

Mark N1UK
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

Huh Huh  Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

When working a pileup I generally listen a little higher than the pileup.  I prefer RXing to a low tone, however the way my K3 is set up, the loud zero beat pileup tends to mask weaker guys calling a few Hz low more than the guys calling high.

I always try to listen to the edge of a pileup.  Often the zero beat pileup makes it impossible to copy a call.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL aka NH2T
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »

Is this good or bad..am I being dissed here

Huh Huh  Roll Eyes

and what is a packet pileup?   ....maybe it's something that I need not be involved with by the sound of it

Mark N1UK
KD7HNN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:33:12 PM »

By Packet Pileup I mean when 200 people click on the spot and they all land and call on the exact same frequency. It sounds like mush on the DX end and  makes it very hard for the DX station to pick out a call let alone a single letter. I set my xmit +/- 100hz so i'm not zero beat with the packet guys so i'm easier to copy off the side of the mush. I was just wondering which way I should go with my xmit, high or low. 
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:56:52 AM »

I was just wondering which way I should go with my xmit, high or low.  

Working split is an art. It is a combination of luck and skill. There are no "rules" on how the DX station runs his operation. After he makes a contact, he could listen further up, further down or stay right where he is at... and he does not have to tell you!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 04:20:07 AM »

By Packet Pileup I mean when 200 people click on the spot and they all land and call on the exact same frequency. It sounds like mush on the DX end and  makes it very hard for the DX station to pick out a call let alone a single letter. I set my xmit +/- 100hz so i'm not zero beat with the packet guys so i'm easier to copy off the side of the mush. I was just wondering which way I should go with my xmit, high or low. 

I feel I have to be more than just 100Hz off to get off the mush.

Of course I have had folks come back to me while I was CQ'ing and tell me I was "100Hz off frequency". Huh I think some expect everyone to be on nice round numbers.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »

By Packet Pileup I mean when 200 people click on the spot and they all land and call on the exact same frequency

OK thank you for the explanation. I don't have that feature. I tune my radio with the big knob in the centre.  My TS930S was made before the pc boom but sometimes I think that pc control would be a nice feature.

I generally try to spot in the pileup, move to the edges or just be crushingly loud

Mark N1UK
NT6X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »

I don't think the poster was talking about "split" operation. It sounds like he meant a DX station operating a simplex pileup and what xit offset to use. I will always use an offset of 100-150hz. I never zero beat the DX station. Going high or low is something you'll have to play with. Either will work. A good DX operator will be able to tell when he's been spotted and immediately make the adjustment and work the edges of his pileup.

Mike, NT6X
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »

OK are we talking sideband here. If so then timing and power is what I use for a simplex operation.

I am not a great lover of simplex cw as I have trouble hearing the dx through the confusion. I probably need to improve my simplex cw skills

Mark N1UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: