About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VU7KV  (Read 12415 times)
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »

I worked Krish-VU7KV this morning at 1724 UTC for an ATNO.  He was at 18.150 listening up 5-10.   No jammers, cops or lids were in the way!
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »

I worked Krish-VU7KV this morning at 1724 UTC for an ATNO.  He was at 18.150 listening up 5-10.   No jammers, cops or lids were in the way!

Wait until 5 PM East local, they will start coming out of the woodwork, and increase in strength and repetition until the left coast finally joins in. hi hi Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

Congrats Paul.  I think you were lucky to catch him when the rest of the U.S. didn't have propagation on 17m.  I heard him too but he went QRT as soon as his signal peaked up here in CO Embarrassed  I need him for an ATNO however so far it's been very difficult.  When I could copy him so is 90% of N.A.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »

2300Z And his signal is dropping like a rock, at least here in Fla.  Has not been strong on 17 tonite anyway, at least not like 20 last nite. Maybe he will QSY later...... Hoping.....

Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »

Congrats. Its a rare one for sure. Luckily, I worked VU7RG on 40M CW and SSB within 3 minutes on the evening grey line. There was an amazing - but very short opening then - their signal went from nothing to S9 + and then back to nothing within about 1/2 hour.

I never heard them before or after that. When I worked them it was easy - and before that I had almost written them off.

VU7 is about as difficult from the West Coast as it gets - along with Marion (which I also only got on 40M).

This is why 40M is my favorite band.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

FINALLY!!  (I would shout, but I have NO voice left....)  I hope I don't have to pick up the damn mic again for a LONNGG Time. Worked him at 2335Z.  I heard my call OK, but not everything else he was saying. I think he asked me something, but I am not sure. Either way, I know he got the call right! Cool That is number 312, and a great 72nd birthday present as well!

GL to all....... It AINT EASY.  Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »

FINALLY!!  (I would shout, but I have NO voice left....)  I hope I don't have to pick up the damn mic again for a LONNGG Time. Worked him at 2335Z.  I heard my call OK, but not everything else he was saying. I think he asked me something, but I am not sure. Either way, I know he got the call right! Cool That is number 312, and a great 72nd birthday present as well!

Very Happy Birthday, and I agree - It ain't easy. Glad you got an ATNO for your 72nd - so - what is your drink of choice to celebrate?

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

This is why 40M is my favorite band.

Yeah, on 40m you don't have to fight the right coast Grin

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »

Congrats Gene.  You're in the log.  I kept seeing 59 reports from FL.  It's nil here in CO Huh

Jonathan W6GX
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »

2300Z And his signal is dropping like a rock, at least here in Fla.  Has not been strong on 17 tonite anyway, at least not like 20 last nite. Maybe he will QSY later...... Hoping.....

Gene AF3Y

Same here, and never was as strong as 17m last night. Pretty much gone now.

All I hear now is the pileup side.

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

Another one for FL. I just worked him (0005) for an ATNO. I wasn't expecting much because he wasn't strong. The bonus was going to his QRZ page, to see if he was uploading logs, and finding my call at the top of his real-time Club Log list. They need an emoticon for a sigh of relief.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

Another one for FL. I just worked him (0005) for an ATNO. I wasn't expecting much because he wasn't strong. The bonus was going to his QRZ page, to see if he was uploading logs, and finding my call at the top of his real-time Club Log list. They need an emoticon for a sigh of relief.

I think VU7 from anywhere in NA is pretty serious DX. BTW- we talked about a loop here - when I was on the Big Island of Hawaii. When I got home  - the tallest tree (70+ feet) had a downed antenna line - a squirrel ate through the thick dacron line. Then, just as I was leaving for Visalia a couple weekends ago - my neighbor had a tree crew cutting down that Monterrey Pine tree.

Glad I worked Monk Apollo when I did - that 40M dipole up 65' was my "swans song" . . . now - there is no chance to have a horizontal antenna that high again.

So -  back to a 55' vertical resonant on 40M with some top loading and base LC. 64 buried radials. Moxons on 20/15 and 17/12.

Rich
KY6R
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »

I got him Grin  Mission accomplished Grin  And I didn't have to fight it in a pile up to get the Q.  This is how it happened...

He was transmitting on 18.150 and listening on 18.155.  I couldn't get through the FL wall for the longest time (not surprisingly).  Then all of a sudden he disappeared without a trace.  I figured he probably stepped away to take a break.  So I continued transmitting (using both his callsign and mine) on 18.155 hoping he would hear me when he gets back from his break.  Five minutes later I heard 'W6GX you're 59' Grin

I guess I remembered some of the DX'ing tricks I learned from my G5RV days Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »

I think VU7 from anywhere in NA is pretty serious DX. BTW- we talked about a loop here - when I was on the Big Island of Hawaii. When I got home  - the tallest tree (70+ feet) had a downed antenna line - a squirrel ate through the thick dacron line. Then, just as I was leaving for Visalia a couple weekends ago - my neighbor had a tree crew cutting down that Monterrey Pine tree.

Glad I worked Monk Apollo when I did - that 40M dipole up 65' was my "swans song" . . . now - there is no chance to have a horizontal antenna that high again.

So -  back to a 55' vertical resonant on 40M with some top loading and base LC. 64 buried radials. Moxons on 20/15 and 17/12.

Rich
KY6R

I still haven't gotten my antenna situation for 30 and down sorted out since I put up the new mast and found resonances from the guy wires. I'm still thinking of going back to the big loop, although, as I told you, I don't like its lightning-related aspects. If I'm going to put it up I really should do it soon because I'm coming to the end of good antenna weather.

BTW, I saw your post on a different thread and I like your taste in beer. I'm going to grocery store soon and I"m going to look for those. I've got the page sitting in my phone.

I got him Grin  Mission accomplished Grin  And I didn't have to fight it in a pile up to get the Q.  This is how it happened...

He was transmitting on 18.150 and listening on 18.155.  I couldn't get through the FL wall for the longest time (not surprisingly).  Then all of a sudden he disappeared without a trace.  I figured he probably stepped away to take a break.  So I continued transmitting (using both his callsign and mine) on 18.155 hoping he would hear me when he gets back from his break.  Five minutes later I heard 'W6GX you're 59' Grin

I guess I remembered some of the DX'ing tricks I learned from my G5RV days Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

W6GX, you're 59 - enough already!
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

20m RTTY, too! Off to the store for that beer.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: