Print  
Author Topic: VU7KV  (Read 11136 times)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »

Saw him spotted on 20m RTTY...Went there and found a pile-up
calling someone else. (3B8CF)
No chance of hearing him.

So I found 3B8CF's tx freq and called him.
Took all of three calls.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »

Thanks for the congrats and kind words, guys Smiley .  The beverage of choice? Well, a screwdriver of course, with FRESH SQUEEZED OJ (My orange tree) and ABSOLUT. hi hi

Now, the bad news........ It should have been an egg sandwich instead of a screwdriver. When I typed in VU7KV into  my logger, it did not tell me it was a NEW DXCC. WTF?! I guess at 72, I am allowed one "senior moment", huh?  I already had VU7 in the log (VU7NRO - 2008), so the QSO tonite was only a bandfill. I had VU7 on 20m. (I thought I had VU4) DANG Sad I got the mic out to work a bandfill. hi hi.  Oh well, I guess I needed the practice.

Hope I gave you guys a good laugh anyway... Roll Eyes

73, and GL to all from AF3Y (At least I THINK  Huh  that's my callsign! hihi) Gene

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:39:27 PM by AF3Y » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »

Thanks for the congrats and kind words, guys Smiley .  The beverage of choice? Well, a screwdriver of course, with FRESH SQUEEZED OJ (My orange tree) and ABSOLUT. hi hi

Now, the bad news........ It should have been an egg sandwich instead of a screwdriver. When I typed in VU7KV into  my logger, it did not tell me it was a NEW DXCC. WTF?! I guess at 72, I am allowed one "senior moment", huh?  I already had VU7 in the log (VU7NRO - 2008), so the QSO tonite was only a bandfill. I had VU7 on 20m.

DANG Sad I got the mic out to work a bandfill. hi hi.  Oh well, I guess I needed the practice.

Hope I gave you guys a good laugh anyway... Roll Eyes

73, and GL to all from AF3Y (At least I THINK  Huh  that's my callsign! hihi) Gene

Oh Gene. At least you worked VU7KV and not 6V7T. I feel sorry for those that worked 6V7T but thought they worked VU7KV Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 02:41:53 AM »

I got him Grin  Mission accomplished Grin  And I didn't have to fight it in a pile up to get the Q.  This is how it happened...

He was transmitting on 18.150 and listening on 18.155.  I couldn't get through the FL wall for the longest time (not surprisingly).  Then all of a sudden he disappeared without a trace.  I figured he probably stepped away to take a break.  So I continued transmitting (using both his callsign and mine) on 18.155 hoping he would hear me when he gets back from his break.  Five minutes later I heard 'W6GX you're 59' Grin

I guess I remembered some of the DX'ing tricks I learned from my G5RV days Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX

He probably did you a favor because he recognized your call from this forum, but simply shouting your call (and his) over and over when you don't even know a DX station is listening is no different than the QRMers who can't hear the DX station they are calling over and over. It's QRM.

How long were you prepared to shout into the ether, an hour, two, three, no limit?
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »

It sucks not to be retired. And then the wife wanted to go out for dinner last night. I complained, but it didn't do much good Smiley He was barely audible on 17M last night but I was hoping his signal strength would build and I would be able to give it a shot but when we got back he was on 20 RTTY. Forget that, what a zoo! Now he's on 12M this morning and you can forget that path to the West Coast. Looks like he's working EU anyway. I keep hoping that someday there will be a large scale operation from there, multiple days, on all bands. I'll keep trying but so far it doesn't look promising.

John K7KB

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »

It sucks not to be retired.

I know I miss lots of DX but I think sitting around playing radio all day would get old very quickly. It's only fun because it's an occasional diversion.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »

I know I miss lots of DX but I think sitting around playing radio all day would get old very quickly. It's only fun because it's an occasional diversion.
True, but even if I was outside working in the yard or in the garage, I would have my iPhone set to spot knowing I was only a short sprint to the ham shack Smiley

John K7KB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »

It's QRM.

Chris,

I disagree with you however I still consider you a friend.  People that know me well also know my operating practice and my stance on bad conduct.  There's one important difference between my calling and someone calling who can't hear the DX- my calling didn't come at the expense of someone else's Q.  The other calling is deliberate QRM.  By the time Krish returned 18.155 was clear and no else was calling except me.  And I only put out about a total of a dozen calls.  So it wasn't like I was continuously transmitting on 18.155.  I only did this because I knew Krish likes to take short breaks (who wouldn't).  Or perhaps he never stepped away from his radio and he was just answering emails or checking the cluster.  If Krish did recognize my call I'm forever grateful for the nice gesture of his.

When Krish returned there was a tremendous amount of deliberate QRM on 18.150.  So it's me who is the victim of QRM.

I don't want to start a debate on this.  I know you are very much set in your views.  If you want to reply to me please do so in PM.  I felt the need to reply to you in public only because you accused me of QRM'ing in public.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »

True, but even if I was outside working in the yard or in the garage, I would have my iPhone set to spot knowing I was only a short sprint to the ham shack Smiley

John K7KB

Yep, I cannot live without DX Hunter.  At the same time it gets annoying at times when a false spot comes along.  I'm thinking about turning it off for places that get false spots like P5, EZ, or TI9 Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

True, but even if I was outside working in the yard or in the garage, ...
[/quote]

I'd rather be at my job. My house is a roof over my head and a place for my antennas.

I mostly like what I do at work. I've managed to mostly avoid responsibility for anything other than coding and calculations, while others do the program management junk. I'd be doing the same sorts of things, just for fun, if I was retired.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »

It sucks not to be retired.

I'm retired.
I would go NUTZ without the radio.

Unless I am snoozing with the terrier, I can usually be found in my chair
trolling the bands.

TV SUCKS, I don't have the patience to read any longer,
we only have one auto, so I am stuck at home when da woman
is working (which seems like CONSTANTLY), nothing else to DO except play radio.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »

Worked him on 20m at approx 01:00utc.
What a flipping Zoo! Between the QRMers and the people who are calling on his Tx Freq it made things really difficult.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »

I'm retired.
I would go NUTZ without the radio.

Unless I am snoozing with the terrier, I can usually be found in my chair
trolling the bands.

TV SUCKS, I don't have the patience to read any longer,
we only have one auto, so I am stuck at home when da woman
is working (which seems like CONSTANTLY), nothing else to DO except play radio.

It was nice to get your call in the NE QSO Party.  You had a nice signal for such a short path on 20 meters.  Thanks for the points.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »

It's QRM.

Chris,

I disagree with you however I still consider you a friend.  People that know me well also know my operating practice and my stance on bad conduct.  There's one important difference between my calling and someone calling who can't hear the DX- my calling didn't come at the expense of someone else's Q.  The other calling is deliberate QRM.  By the time Krish returned 18.155 was clear and no else was calling except me.  And I only put out about a total of a dozen calls.  So it wasn't like I was continuously transmitting on 18.155.  I only did this because I knew Krish likes to take short breaks (who wouldn't).  Or perhaps he never stepped away from his radio and he was just answering emails or checking the cluster.  If Krish did recognize my call I'm forever grateful for the nice gesture of his.

When Krish returned there was a tremendous amount of deliberate QRM on 18.150.  So it's me who is the victim of QRM.

I don't want to start a debate on this.  I know you are very much set in your views.  If you want to reply to me please do so in PM.  I felt the need to reply to you in public only because you accused me of QRM'ing in public.

Jonathan W6GX

Jon,

I will not follow this up but I only have one thing to add: If everybody did what you did the bands would be in much worst shape than they are now. You are calling a station you don't even know is listening which is a one way transmission.  People that have a sked call blind but they have a predetermined time and frequency which is why it's called a sked.

I think it's a bad habit and that's it from me on this subject.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »

I think it's a bad habit and that's it from me on this subject.

R.  Point taken.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: