Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring an RJ-45 connector to an Icom HM-36 mic for use on a RS HTX-212.  (Read 1205 times)
N4BWV

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »

I just bought a Radio Shack HTX-212 2 meter radio  off of e-bay.  It did not come with a mic. My plan is to wire an HM-36 mic to an RJ45 connector for use on that rig.  Anyone done this before or have any ideas? 
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »

I'm not familiar with that mic.  The wires may not be the right size to fit an RJ connector, or the wire/insulation may not grip satisfactorily.

In any case, hand made connector typically are not strong nor flexibly rugged.  After all they are intended to lay behind desks and in cableways with rare connect/disconnect cycles, and no tension.

I recommend cutting a factory made connector from a quality +stranded cable and splice it to the mic cable. Shrink tubing on the wires and two layers of single wall tubing or one of double wall (adhesive) tubing on the final splice would be wise.

Caution:  If there is any chance the radio has a pin with voltage, typically eight or nine vdc, be absolutely certain of your pinouts, and continuity check everything!  You only get one chance to short it out!  Smiley
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »

or better yet.. get a small box  form Radio Shack. a socket to fit the mic, and wire in a short cable with  RJ45  plug  already installed,  that way  you dont  destroy the original mic and
you can  reduce strain on the RJ45  by  attaching the box  some where close , as a strain relief.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:00:46 AM »

or better yet.. get a small box  form Radio Shack. a socket to fit the mic, and wire in a short cable with  RJ45  plug  already installed,

You can buy the "small box" and "socket" as a Surface Mount Phone Jack, Radio Shack Catalog # 279-010, plus an ordinary 8 wire Cat 3 or 5 cable.

The microphone plugs into the box, then you cross-connect the 8 pin cable per the correct pinout for the rig.  I have my HTX212 in the car and "remoting" the mic jack this way worked out both in terms of adapting the mic, and moving the mic jack from the front of the rig to under the seat.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N4BWV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:24:47 PM »

Thanks  to all for the input. RS box sound like a good idea. I have one laying around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: