Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for 25wpm character/12wpm morse mp3 files  (Read 4265 times)
G7MRV

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »

Im hoping someone can point me in a suitable direction here,

Im looking for some plain text mp3 files to practice with when in the car. I can find lots of mp3 morse files, including the ARRL practice files, but they all seem to have the word speed and character speed the same, ie 25wpm character speed, 25wpm actual word speed.

Im not up to this yet, but my goal is 25wpm so I am working with characters sent at 25wpm rates, but with the spacing making the word rate 12wpm. This is what im looking for in an mp3 file - some interesting practice text sent at 12wpm, but with 25wpm actual character speed. Id be grateful if anyone could tell me where I might find such files?

Ive also seen a ebook to cw converter but it seemed to be for Linux, does anyone know of one for windows?

LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »

You can generate audio files with Just Learn Morse Code.

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:58:08 AM »

In my humble opinion, I  think what you are trying to do is not a good idea. If you can copy 12wpm code you should get 15 wpm code with 15wpm spacing files. If you can copy 20wpm code you should get 22wpm code with 22wpm spacing files.

I suspect the reason you want 25wpm characters coming at you SLOWLY is so you can "decipher" them in your brain. This is not what you want to do; you want to hear the sound "dididah" and your brain just knows that is the letter U.

If it were ME, (and it is not), and if you can copy 12wpm right now, I would get 20wpm mp3 files. You will miss most of it at first, but you WILL pick out some letters. And you will be hearing the SOUNDS of the letters, no time to "decipher". Eventually you will get more and more letters, and soon whole words. Certain WORDS sound a certain WAY on CW, you will learn to pick them out. This strategy really will work for you. This strategy really will work for you. This strategy really will work for you. This strategy really will work for you. This strategy really will work for you. !!!

If what you are trying to accomplish is become proficient in CW the #1 way, the way that ALL old CW guys did it THEN and NOW, is just get on the air!! I PROMISE you that it will work!!!!!

I am happy for you trying hard, your work will pay off. Once again, I PROMISE! Wink

paul
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »

I appreciate the comments, and this is indeed what I would do in a quiet, calm training environment. But what im after here is something that I will be listening to in a noisy traffic environment, I cant really concentrate on it as my commute to work is very busy with many hazzards. By using code at a speed I can cope with, I can at least enjoy copying it as I go. Faster code I would miss too much to enjoy the content.

W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »

ARRL has MP3 cw files you can download.

Jim, W8LGZ
M3KXZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:54:13 AM »

G7MRV, have you got a rig in the car? Something I really enjoy is just tuning into a high speed QSO and listening while driving. It's surprising how quickly bits of it start coming together without having to think too hard about it.
Pete M3KXZ
GQRP 11767
SKCC10219
KR4TH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:10 AM »

I am using G4FON software to make mp3's so I can listen to them while commuting.  They are very helpful.  I have the speed set at 20 wpm and spacing at 15, and go up in speed to 25 and 30. Once my brain gets use to hearing the words at a faster speed I find it is easier to copy faster on the air. send me a pm and I will send you a copy to try.

Jerry
KR4TH
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

As stated "just learn morse code "  great program . I listen  files i have copied off the net and pasted to the program and converted to morse for my mp3 player . I'm listening to case files on Jack the Ripper at the moment and also Treasure Island .

your 25wpm with wider spacing is a good way to progress , personally i went with 20 but now at 22wpm with standard spacing

however you do it the above program is great for making files however you want them to be ..

billy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:29:28 PM by M0JHA » Logged
KF7QGA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »

There's a speed--for me it's about 18 wpm--above which head copy is _easier_, not harder.  At least, that's what I found.  You may want to try a recording with the word and character speed both set to 20 or 25 wpm.  You may find it easier than you think, even in traffic.

You're right about being in traffic and having to concentrate on not hitting things (hitting things seems to be frowned upon) causing you to miss code, but don't worry about it.  Just let the code flow like a river, and pick out what you can pick out.  Relax, don't stress.  You will find yourself occasionally reading a word without having consciously thought of it, and you'll get _really_ good at figuring out the part you missed after the fact.  Listening to code in the noisy, distracted environment of a car is great practice for copying when the bad is bad, or the sender is making mistakes.

By the way, project Gutenberg is great for this.  There's tons of literature of every type, as plain text files, and no shortage of programs to turn text files into audio recordings.  You can listen to Dickens, or whatever interests you. 

Based on my long experience of two years in the hobby, and a sample size of "1", that's what I can tell you.

73, Wayne Conrad KF7AGA
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »

Try Learn CW Online at lcwo.net.  You can download mp3 files of code groups, plain text or callsigns at whatever character speed and effective speed you want.  The default is 20wpm characters and 10 effective but can be changed to suit your preference.

73, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: