Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmit Problem on PSK  (Read 1305 times)
WK2W

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2002, 07:35:48 AM »

Hi,

Before I pull the rest of my hair out, I need help trying to find out why I can't seem to transmit on PSK. Yesterday, I finally got my interface etc. hooked up and worked two stations on 15 meters successfully. I took a break and when I came back, 15 was dead so I went down to 20 meters. I could receive signals easily, but I could get no responses to CQ's or by calling other stations.

I've confirmed the rig/antenna are OK by working DX on CW successfully and I'm certain that I'm not hitting the audio too hard with the PSK modulation. I'm using: Ten Tec Omni V, p166 w/ SB AWE64 card, Rascal interface and WinPSK v2.01 (comes with Rascal).

Any ideas would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks, Chris, WK2W
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2002, 12:34:42 PM »

Lets assume then that your setup worked fine on 15 meters and your radio/antenna has no issues with the 20 meter band. If when you went to TX on 20 meters, the PSK31 sound from the PC speakers sounded the same as on 15 and the modulated power on your output meter looked the same as on 15, then you were just having some bad luck! Possibly by now you have worked some PSK31 on 20 meters? (20 meters is the popular band for that mode.)
Some things to watch for:
Make sure your ALC voltage is very low during TX.
Make sure your radio is in SSB mode (USB is standard for sound card modes).
Occasionally a particular band can cause RFI to the PC and/or the interface wiring that will effect your PSK31 modulation for that band. This would be detectable by listenning to the PC speakers and monitoring the ALC voltage. In that case, try lowerring the power output to 5 watts and see if you can communicate.
See you on 20 meters... Griff.
KB9UMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2002, 12:51:05 PM »

Hi Chris:

If you have not got it going yet I would be happy to help you direct. Give me an email if you want some direct help.  Are you for sure your soundcard did not go south on you?  Did you double check all connections again just to make sure you are hooked up OK?  Did you check the volume settings on the PC?  Is your radio relays kicking in when in the TX mode on psk31 or not?
Would be glad to help and I think we could get you going or find what is wrong.  

73 de kb9umt Don
kb9umt@arrl.net
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2002, 08:17:40 PM »

20 meters was in bad shape on January 14 most of the day, I had one contact all day on 20 meter PSK.
20 meters improved some today, but a lot of QSB and lost contacts due fast changing propogation conditions.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: