Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weak SPOT function on Heathkit HG-10B  (Read 4789 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:22 AM »

I am using a DX-60 with HG-10B VFO with my Hammarlund HQ-170. I have moved the TX far from my RX, and now I can BARELY hear the SPOT signal of the local oscillator. When the TX is NEXT to the RX I hear it just fine.
Is there a way to run a wire "antenna" from the local oscillator nearer to the rig so I can hear the local oscillator in the SPOT mode?

paul
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »

Um, I think you mean, "HR-10 and not HG?  *grin*

I don't recommend trying to modify the receiver to hear the spotter, what you *should* do is figure out how to get the two in closer proximity to each other in the shack.  

And if I did have to make the spot work with them separated, I think it would be better to do this by way of switching the Transmit antenna to something inside the shack, such as the random short length of wire that could be routed closer to the receiver.  Using an antenna switch to change back and forth.  

Likely better than a random wire would be switching the transmitter to a dummy load with coax and placing the unshielded dummy load resistor close to the receiver. 

Trying to do this at the receiver side seems to be taking too much chance of causing problems with receiving actual sigs, adding noise, possibly even upsetting frequency alignment.  IMHO

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »

No, the VFO is the HG-10B.

I seem to remember KA5N mentioning that simply laying an insulated wire near the oscillator tube and letting it drape over toward the receiver would increase the "signal" of the oscillator. But maybe not. Is there a more "scientific" way?

When I short the RX antenna I can easily hear my SPOT from the local oscillator (since there is no band noise). I can just do this, but I was wondering if there was a way to have this work while I was still scanning the bands with my receive antenna connected. Not easy to move the DX-60/VFO closer to my RX. Small bench!

paul
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

Got it, my bad on the VFO designator. 

But if shorting the antenna works, why not follow thru on that? 

K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »

Running a DX-60B with the HG-10B VFO. I find that I can hear the zero beat signal just fine on my Drake 2B if I switch the antenna away from the T/R switch I use for this set up. The band noise drowns out the zero beat signal otherwise.

Boatanchors of any age are lots of fun! Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: