Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING: Lithium Polymer Batteries fire  (Read 14414 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »

Only about 10 cycles on that battery.  It was really funny to watch, though!  I literally stopped traffic, spraying the poor thing down with a fire extinguisher in the middle of the street.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »

RE:  WA2ASB statement about Halon Fire Ext.

I've  already did application-desinged on those systems for government buildngs AND COMERCIAL BUILDINGS in the 1980s.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »

Only about 10 cycles on that battery.  It was really funny to watch, though!  I literally stopped traffic, spraying the poor thing down with a fire extinguisher in the middle of the street.

How many cycles that day?

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »

How many cycles that day?

First cycle of the day.  It was one of the $100 units you can buy now, not a fancy or nice unit at all.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »

As an avid RC modeler I have been using Lipo batteries for almost ten years now and have not had any problems.  Most Lipo fires are caused by improper charging or crash damage.  Many of the new high discharge Lipos can be charged in excess of one C but I never charge them at over one C and don't recommend it.  As for ham radio, I use them on several systems right now.
KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »

I agree with KA4DPO. I am retired and work at an RC hobby store and we sell thousands of lipo's. I have only heard of one lipo fire in those thousands of batteries. He tried charging it with a much higher current than the C value. The results were obvious. Most lipos have digital and analog fire prevention mechanisms built in. That is what you see when the battery bulges. Lipos need to be charged by a lipo charger. When it is full the charger shuts off. Nicad and NMH chargers continue to charge after the battery is 'full'. That fries a Lipo. The reasons why there are videos of lipo fires is because people purposely push them beyond their limit so they can video a fire.
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »

I couldn't agree more! We all use many, many lithium batteries throughout our regular lives without any incident and there are multiple things that have to go wrong before a dangerous situation occurs.

If you're interested in learning how to charge lithium batteries, there is a great article on PowerStream's website here: http://www.powerstream.com/li.htm and a lot more info on battery charging in general under the Technical Resources section.

Chris - KU7PDX
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »

Whenever you have to use a new or different technology, it behoove you, the user, to study up on the safe methodology involved with that technology.  Assumptions can prove to be expensive if not deadly. 

Consider that the older, well known and well used lead acid battery technology can indeed generate hydrogen gas if not handled properly.  Or cause electrical fires if not fused properly.  Then there's the guy who lost a finger because he got his wedding band between two poles from a lead acid battery, at the starter.  The ring instantly welded to the two battery points, turned red hot in less than a second and when he instinctively jerked his hand away, the red hot ring amputated and cauterized all in one step. 

It isn't the technology, it is the user of the technology, no matter what that technology is, who is responsible for knowing how to safely and wisely exploit the technology. 

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: