Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deployed Soldier Communications  (Read 4103 times)
KC4YWW

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »

With my daughter on active duty in the Army I was wondering if there are frequencies being used to send messages to soldiers or even talk to them and things like that. I can't find anything on the internet.
Thanks
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:54:29 AM »

With my daughter on active duty in the Army I was wondering if there are frequencies being used to send messages to soldiers or even talk to them and things like that. I can't find anything on the internet.
Thanks

Not going to either. It is secure via satellite, vhf/uhf point to point or hardware. You are not going to find them on HF. Best bet is email and maybe Skype is her mill internet access server allows it. There is always cell phone but that will cost $$$. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WA2ASB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »

Another thing you might want to look at is the Vonage World Plan.  You pay a fixed yearly fee for the phone (around $300) and calls to overseas are free to certain countries.  We have a lot of friends and family in India so it is great for us.  When my wife is in India, I have the US Vonage number here in the US forwarded to her India cell-phone.  That way anyone here can call the number and rings her cell phone and they don't get charged.

You can use Skype to call numbers in other countries, but there is a charge based on what country it is you are calling.  When I was living in China, I had my home phone here in the US forwarded to Skype and then had Skype forwarded to our apartment in Shanghai.  That way if anyone called me here it would ring in China and cost me 2 cents/minute, but no charge to the caller.

Yes, I am part Scotch. Grin
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

You can use Skype to call numbers in other countries, but there is a charge based on what country it is you are calling.  When I was living in China, I had my home phone here in the US forwarded to Skype and then had Skype forwarded to our apartment in Shanghai.  That way if anyone called me here it would ring in China and cost me 2 cents/minute, but no charge to the caller.

If you "Skype" to another computer, there is no charge. I talked to my daughter that way when she was in China last spring on a short internship.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC4YWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The phone plan sounds good. I do talk to her through skype when not in a dark zone. I was wondering if hf hany way of ragchewing with the young men and women. I heard of some contacts on armed forces day buy i guess those are few and special occasions. Thanks again fellows.   73's.  Pete
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »

When my son was recently deployed to Iraq he would use Skype for 1/4 hour ragchews whenever he got the chance.

Great way to communicate!  Much better than the phone patches I ran from southern Germany back in '56 or the Transatlantic cable for $15.00 per minute!!
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

Google video chat is an alternative to Skype, if you both have a gmail account.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »

Skype is easier (and can work with video calling too), but another option is a T-Mobile phone with WiFi calling. It works internationally over WiFi:
http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/38734?start=0&tstart=0

Many of the Android handsets support WiFi calling and if you pay upfront TMO will unlock it so she can change out the SIM card for a local number then use the TMO SIM card for calling home.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:55:07 AM »

Another type of alternate comunications (when HF fails) for the troops that is still very popular: the LETTER from home.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »

Here's another option I can vouch for. It's called Viber. I works on Apple, Andriod and Black Berry phones and just requires a Internet connect not cell service. I was a no brainer to nstall and talk to my daughter on vacation in London earlier tonite. Just like a phone call and free. 

W1BVV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »

The Maritime Mobile Service Net (regardless of the name) on 14.300 1200 EST to band close, specifically asks for checkins or relays from deployed service personnel and well maritime mobiles and general checkins.  I monitor and checkin occasionally but have never heard traffic from military personnel.

Dave, W1BVV

W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

Thanks

My son has been deployed many times to Iraq, and Afghanistan. He always had his laptop with him, and the internet was our primary mode of communication when it was available. Other than that, it was a phone call, or a letter. Sometimes he wouldn't have internet available for weeks, or longer. Not much anyone can do about that except to be patient, a pray.

Thank your daughter for me, and thanks to all who serve in the U.S. Military.

Dave
KC4YWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

Thanks to all for your replies.  We have been using Skype when she is on a break but when she goes dark she can not.  And the letter from home yes I send one every week and my wife sends one every week too but she gets them a bunch at a time.

I just thought they might had been be an HF frequency that they could use from time to time but it is obvious that would be a security risk.
73's

Pete KC4YWW
WI9MJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »

Another possibility is MARS. Marsgrams are more of a special occasion type message now, but are still delivered. MARS could also use new members, I joined when my son enlisted in the Army last year.
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »

Another possibility is MARS. Marsgrams are more of a special occasion type message now, but are still delivered. MARS could also use new members, I joined when my son enlisted in the Army last year.

There are no MARS Stations in Afgahnistan, to my knowledge, so a Marsgram is not an option. The MARS Stations of years gone by are no longer. I remember using one to call home from Korea in 1980 but those days are long gone.

Craig Gagner
US Army MSG Retired
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: