Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PVP4800 Inverter ..... RFI Screamer !!!  (Read 2728 times)
KG6Q

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »

While I don't know how far the RFI carries (at least a city block), a neighborhood home uses a PVP4800 inverter that screams RFI.

This residential home has roof mounted solar panels and uses a PVP4800 inverter. When doing a house visit there, the inverter RFI wipes out the entire AM band on my truck radio as I approach this house. Turning the inverter off stops the RFI on my truck radio completely.

My QTH is in a very mountainous area and as yet I don't know if this inverter is the cause of serious chronic RFI that blankets nearly all HF bands on my Yaesu-897D radio. The straight line inverter - QTH distance is about 1/2 mile. I hope to get enough cooperation from the homeowner to determine if temporarily shutting down his inverter will stop the RFI at my home QTH and confirm this source.

Has anyone had RFI experience with PVP series inverter products? I think they're made by a company called Advanced Energy. If so, what was your resolution?

I have read that solar power inverters are exempt from FCC part B regulations. Anyone know if that is true?
QRP4U2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »

It says it has certs:

http://solarenergy.advanced-energy.com/en/PVP4800.html

Most of these inverters are two-stage bridge type inverters with Sine Wave output and fully filtered.

It sounds to me like the inverters input or output filtering went bad.

Have the homeowner contact AE and let them know of the interference.

Addendum: Did the installers properly ground Mr. Screamer?

Phil - AC0OB
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:39:13 PM by QRP4U2 » Logged

AC0OB - A Place Where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: