Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VENT TIME!!!!...Another Dead Horse To Beat....  (Read 7525 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:11:27 AM »

There is just no excuse except for plain ordinary ignorance.....I am referring to the constant calling of a DX station on his calling frequendcy when the DX station is working split......The Lids, Banshees, Goons, Alligators, Screamers, Thugs, Pugs and Mugs are bad enough, but when they call that way, and then the KC Cops chime in "HE'S LISTENING UP"....That just makes it worse....When Z81X was calling me last night, I almost didn't hear him as a result of these MORONS!!!!!....Especially the KC Cops who would not SHUT UP!!!!!...I almost didn't work Martti as a result, but thankfully, those A-holes shut up long enough for me to hear and get the qso......In this day and age with the cluster, etc. there is no excuse for not knowing a DX station is working duplex..NONE!...except for pure haste and ignorance.....and even without the cluster.....Does anyone listen anymore?Huh....ANYONE?Huh.....I thought the concept of split operation was a question on the license exams....Have they removed them from the question pool???.....Seriously, people....Learn how to use your VFOs before transmitting.....it's not that hard!!!!...I realize that sometimes we forget to hit the SPL button, but come on!!!!....When is enough enough?Huh?......USE YOUR EARS AND BRAINS....LISTEN!!!!!!......(vent over)

V
KA3NRX
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:13:46 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:41:45 AM »

There is a button on your radio that will prevent you from being upset about the Cops. It is the OFF button. When the Mob Rule is in effect, it is the only thing you can do, because you will never change the way the Mob operates.

The one positive thing you can do is to mentor a new ham and make sure that he or she is shown the simple rules of courtesy that apply not only to ham radio but to life itself.

Clint – W5CPT -
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:33:16 AM »

I don't care too much about the cops, although they are annoying.

What is more annoying are the lids who just keep calling and calling even though the DX does not call them. I believe this is why the DX is now opting for larger and larger splits because people simply would not listen and wait their turn.

I wonder if they figure that by doing this they'll drown out the guy who the DX is calling, or is it that they really don't understand CW beyond their own callsign, 5NN and TU?
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »

It's not just QRMers and Khz Cops. Operating behavior has simply got worse over the past decades.

There is an Indonesian station on 20 meters CW now with a 5 Khz split.  Why does he need 5 when 2 Khz is enough?  On 15 meters SSB an A92 station is running a fairly good sized pileup simplex. He should be using the 5 Khz split.  If he did his QSO rate would at least double.

Those are just two I noticed this past hour. 

Many have no idea how to use their rigs. Maybe the tests should include a part where an applicant can prove he/she can operate a rig.

Chris/NU1O
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »

There was a station on 14.200 the other night listening from .250-.270! Whew, I didn't even bother!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »

I must be the only one who does not mind the cop who only says "Up".
I hate the ones that tie up the freq with rude comments and venting but the simple quick "up" is ok with me.

The reason why I don't have a problem with it is that the Alternative is listening to some Moron saying this is KP2... Over and over again!  I have even heard these guys having an imaginary exchanges saying "Roger roger thank you your 59 also".

The problem IMO is two fold, 95% of it is because the Ops doing it don't listen or don't even seem to be hearing the DX and the second reason is that sometimes the DX op goes on long 30 min runs without saying his call sign or saying UP.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:16:10 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »

I must be the only one who does not mind the cop who only says "Up".
I hate the ones that tie up the freq with rude comments and venting but the simple quick "up" is ok with me.

It wasn't like that last night.....it got to the point where one of those idiots sounded like was engaged in a conversation while Z81X was calling me....I was ready to hit the split button and say "HEY A-HOLE...GET OFF THE FREQUENCY..".....Just saying "UP"....tell me, do you think half the people who are on the split know what "UP" means???......Aggrivating....just plain aggrivating.....USE YOUR EARS AND BRAIN.....AND LEARN HOW TO OPERATE!!!!!.....

The problem IMO is two fold, 95% of it is because the Ops doing it don't listen or don't even seem to be hearing the DX and the second reason is that sometimes the DX op goes on long 30 min runs without saying his call sign or saying UP.  

REPLY: That is another disturbing trend I am hearing with these operations, & is another issue for another thread!...

V
KA3NRX

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »

I find phone operation VERY FRUSTRATING these days.
As you say, Vinny, NO ONE LISTENS !

I firmly believe that lots of these turds DO NOT HEAR the DX.

They see a spot on DX Summit, go to that spot freq and start screaming
whether they hear anything or not.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »

I listened in on one of these DX cluster f__k fiascoes a while back, all it reminded me of was 300 plus people vying for the attention of the one sales clerk to be found one minute after opening WalMart's doors on Black Friday morning,No Thanks.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »

There was a station on 14.200 the other night listening from .250-.270! Whew, I didn't even bother!

That was Z81X and I also gave up after 2 hours.  It was just too hard to figure where he was listening.  However, I got him last night just before the pile up started.  It only took me 2 months of being a ham to figure out how to identify "up" and where to go on the net to see what was happening.  Many times I can just find out by listening and invariably, even though it may take a while, the op will eventually announce "listening up".

More annoying than the cops, and even than the callers who haven't figured out "up", are the morons who decide that they should tune right on the calling frequency..... for minutes!!!!.  Hopefully, they melt their tubes.

Sam
W9KDX
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »

I don't have a problem with a quick UP.  Not everyone has a computer, and not every DX says up very often (or their call sign), but yes, 98% of the time.. simply listening for a minute will get you that info.

Software can also be a problem.  I've had a few times when I loaded N1MM and it turned off my split (didn't notice that at first). Happened with another program as well.  Now I take a look to make sure it's really up and nothing changed.

I called a DX in S. Pacific who I must have been LOUD about 3-4 times before I realized it.  No one said anything to me.  Nothing you can do.   One person saying UP isn't going to distract much.  
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »

I don't have a problem with a quick UP.  Not everyone has a computer, and not every DX says up very often (or their call sign), but yes, 98% of the time.. simply listening for a minute will get you that info.

Software can also be a problem.  I've had a few times whenx I loaded N1MM and it turned off my split (didn't notice that at first). Happened with another program as well.  Now I take a look to make sure it's really up and nothing changed.

I called a DX in S. Pacific who I must have been LOUD about 3-4 times before I realized it.  No one said anything to me.  Nothing you can do.   One person saying UP isn't going to distract much.  

I hate to disagree (oh heck, no I don't Grin), but a "quick up" is an illegal transmission.
And the op is in charge of the radio station operations, not a computer or program. If you don't know or are unsure - don't' transmit.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »

Software can also be a problem.  I've had a few times whenx I loaded N1MM and it turned off my split (didn't notice that at first). Happened with another program as well.  Now I take a look to make sure it's really up and nothing changed.

I hate to disagree (oh heck, no I don't Grin), but a "quick up" is an illegal transmission.
And the op is in charge of the radio station operations, not a computer or program. If you don't know or are unsure - don't' transmit.

Technically, the DX needs to sign off with HIS call sign after each call..  Grin

So in the real world, where everything isn't always perfect, a quick UP solves the problem 90% of the time.  It takes 0.50 seconds to say it.. 

Beer is proof God wants us to be HAPPY....  Grin Grin Grin
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »

Many have no idea how to use their rigs. Maybe the tests should include a part where an applicant can prove he/she can operate a rig.

That is the easy part-all knobs to the right!  Tune for maximum swing!
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

I don't do much SSB DXing, but one probably I do notice on CW DXing is when the DX station doesn't ID enough, or send UP to let you know they are listening up.  If I here a TU, and a call, and that is it, how I am supposed to know they aren't working simplex?

John AF5CC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: