Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Identify....another disturbing trend....  (Read 1925 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

Is there any good reason why some (NOT ALL) of these dxpedition operators go long streatches without identifying themselves???.....Other than worrying about "QSO RATES" (blabity blabity)......Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a station ID was required every 10 minutes in most places.....Not everyone has cluster on at the time, and not everyone even has cluster....Not sure what the deal is with this, but for heaven sake, let the world know who you are on the air......if it's not a mandatory requirement, then do it for common courtesy for those trying to work you.....

V
KA3NRX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »

My guess? To thin out the pileups, and rapid fire work as many as possible.

I don't like it, but they don't do it for nothing.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

I find this MOST annoying in CONTESTS !

These guys that can only say...QRZ ?

NEVER an ID, and in lots of cases, I have worked the guy
already in the contest and he is a dupe, but I have to listen for
what seems like HOURS to find out WHO HE IS !

I do not use the cluster in contests, that puts me in the assisted
category unless the contest permits cluster usage.

Most DXPeditions seem to ID OK maybe they should ID more often.

Not a problem on RTTY.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »

Has anyone heard DXpeditions that use 1x1 US "special event" callsigns follow the rule that the operator must ID with his own call every 30 minutes? I am not saying they deliberately break the law but it seems that some of them forget that the requirement to do so is there.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »

Every 10-15 Qs should be more than adequate; some ID after every Q (which gets annoying fast) and some ID on their CQ and QRT and nothing in between. If a station is weak and running fast, I'd like to verify I worked who I think I worked without having to hang around for 20 minutes (WFWL and all that). In contests, I generally tend to ID a lot if I'm running.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

I find this MOST annoying in CONTESTS !

These guys that can only say...QRZ ?

NEVER an ID, and in lots of cases, I have worked the guy
already in the contest and he is a dupe, but I have to listen for
what seems like HOURS to find out WHO HE IS !

On CW, I think the problem was at its worst 3-5 years ago. It doesn't seem to be so bad in recent contests. Yes it was pretty stupid to have the DX tell station after station "DUPE", "DUPE", "DUPE" but never once sending their ID.

It was glorious to hear some of the better CW ops at better stations, truly controlling the pileup, and also ID'ing after every QSO as part of the "pileup control" strategy. The good ones can get an unruly mob to line up, that is very very impressive.

It helps that as I have become a better contester... if the CQ'er isn't in control and there's a horrible mess of callers, I now know there's far more productive places for me to spend my time elsewhere on the bands.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »

In my experience, the less frequent the id, the more chances are the call sign is SLIM.
Chuck  NI0C
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »

A Very annoying trend that actually slows down the Q rate. I agree that it should be after every 10 or so contacts, anything less than five Q's is a waste of time and Long stretches between an ID causes people to be hollering out "whats your call" and that causes a huge slow down.  I think many Dx stations are depending on the cluster a lot more than they should.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »

In my experience, the less frequent the id, the more chances are the call sign is SLIM.
Chuck  NI0C

Chuck,

That seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't a SLIM want as much action as possible since he's trying to dupe people?  I would think a SLIM would transmit the fake call more often, not less often.

Chris/NU1O

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:52:36 AM »

I think many Dx stations are depending on the cluster a lot more than they should.

AMEN to that!

V
KA3NRX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

NU1O wrote:
That seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't a SLIM want as much action as possible since he's trying to dupe people?  I would think a SLIM would transmit the fake call more often, not less often.

I was merely reporting on my experience-- what I've observed by listening for many years.  I don't have explanations for the motivations of SLIM.
Chuck  NI0C
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »

Every 10-15 Qs should be more than adequate;

If it's a US station they need to ID at the end of every communication (and every 10 minutes).

Problem is that "communication" is loose and open to interpretation. Some interpret it to mean QSO, others interpret it to mean "session" at the radio.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 07:17:46 AM »

Chuck  NI0C

My warning flags for a slim, go up whenever the DX's behavior is particularly odd or erratic.

If it's a DXpedition that is run by very very top-notch CW ops, they were probably ID'ing regularly with predictable patterns.

The Slims very often are ID'ing irregularly and with unusual patterns.

Of course there are also real DXpeditions whose CW ops are a little odd. Again, I equate the classiest operation with very regular ID'ing. But every so often there are some machine-gun ops whose pattern is to not ID. And after many days or even weeks in absurdly horrible weather conditions even the best ops can sound a little erratic!
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »

Speaking of trends...

I'm seeing more LOTW QSLs after I send a card with $ overseas...   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: