Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL QSO Label Printing  (Read 1661 times)
K7CO

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:56 AM »

We are looking for some suggestions on printing QSO labels for QSL cards.  We are going to be answering thousands of QSL requests and need to streamline this process. What do you use for QSO Label printing? I have found DXKeeper label printing not intuitive.

I want to take the ADIF file from Clublog and import for QSO label printing.

Thanks for any suggestion.

We are getting excited to go QRV from VK9X!

Jon
VK9X/K7CO
vk9x.com
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »

Take a look at:
BV - QSL Management and Label/QSL Printing
http://www.df3cb.com/bv/

Mel - KS2G
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »

Thanks Mel,
I am not too thrilled about loading a Borland database on my PC. I guess his ver8 is out soon and hopefully will not be reliant on Borland
May give ver 7  a try
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:27:15 AM »

I don't understand your response.  If the DB is embedded in the app, why should you care?

Does it work or doesn't it?  Eventually, any sort of QSO management system is going to have "some kind" of DB involved, however it is structured.  The only question would be how formal it is.
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:12 AM »

I had issues loading Borland and also I do not like putting anything on my machine that requires me to set it to XP Compatibility mode.

We shall see

SQL express would be nice
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »

I rolled my own set of scripts that starts from Clublog and LOTW ADIF and prints labels.

Others use the CSV's easily exportable from Clublog and use various-levels-of-"professional" mail/merge software packages to print the labels. I know folks who are very good with mail/merge tools but I am not one of them :-).

And others use BV, which is more than just printing, it also helps with many aspects of QSL manager tools and ham logs. Of the ham label-printing apps, it is the only one I know of that scales well to contester/DXpedition levels.
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »

I received a suggestion to use LogPrint 3.1.2

It imported my adif file and gave me the option to print to a Avery 5160 Label, works perfectly.

Thanks for the bandwidth guys and gals

You can get the software for free at http://www.logger32.net/utilities.html#.UwOFLfldW30

EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

If you use club log for you OQRS if has a label print option

I have only had a quick look but I'm sure there is lots of info out there about it,

Trevor
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

Jon,
 I have been using Dxkeeper for printing the labels to an Avery 5160. It works like
 a charm. I can pick and choose single QSO's or i can load up an entire clublogs
 OQRS Adif to an empty Dxkeeper and select all for print.

For the addresses coming from Clublogs, i typically get it into a spreadsheet, assign
 headings for the columns and do a mail merge with Ms Word, printing direct to an
 envelope so far. But since the envelope printing has been taking time, i plan to
 print to address labels. Again MS address label template and will go the way of
 Avery 5161.

Take the addresses coming from clublogs with a grain of salt. One needs to eyeball them
 before printing, since they can send the QSL to the wrong country.

This is the 3rd operation i am using the above method and has worked well for the
 prior 2 operations. Last summer, I went looking for the same thing you are after, tried
 the BV stuff etc and all were not easy to use. Was not interested in spending the
 time on the very steep learning curve.

I want to point out that, you will need to slightly adjust the Dxkeeper QSL label
 printer settings(label margins, column offsets etc) and it is dependent on the printer.
 I print to 2 laser printers with the same sheet and they need slightly different settings.

I have not yet tried printing the address labels from Dxkeeper.

Want more specifics, lets talk offline.

73s
 krish
 w4vku
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »

If you use club log for you OQRS if has a label print option

I have only had a quick look but I'm sure there is lots of info out there about it,

Trevor

Hi Trevor
I am using OQRS and could not locate the printing options, i used to be able to when they were in beta, did they go away?
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

Jon,
 I have been using Dxkeeper for printing the labels to an Avery 5160. It works like
 a charm. I can pick and choose single QSO's or i can load up an entire clublogs
 OQRS Adif to an empty Dxkeeper and select all for print.

For the addresses coming from Clublogs, i typically get it into a spreadsheet, assign
 headings for the columns and do a mail merge with Ms Word, printing direct to an
 envelope so far. But since the envelope printing has been taking time, i plan to
 print to address labels. Again MS address label template and will go the way of
 Avery 5161.

Take the addresses coming from clublogs with a grain of salt. One needs to eyeball them
 before printing, since they can send the QSL to the wrong country.

This is the 3rd operation i am using the above method and has worked well for the
 prior 2 operations. Last summer, I went looking for the same thing you are after, tried
 the BV stuff etc and all were not easy to use. Was not interested in spending the
 time on the very steep learning curve.

I want to point out that, you will need to slightly adjust the Dxkeeper QSL label
 printer settings(label margins, column offsets etc) and it is dependent on the printer.
 I print to 2 laser printers with the same sheet and they need slightly different settings.

I have not yet tried printing the address labels from Dxkeeper.

Want more specifics, lets talk offline.

73s
 krish
 w4vku

Thanks Krish, I will be in touch as some email has come in that has renewed my hope in DXKeeper working for our needs.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »

I'm a fan of DX Keeper overall but the labels it generates are somewhat spartan in nature. Not saying you *need* fancy, but if you want to do any sort of customization that's not the best app for it.

Until I switched to DX Lab last year, I was using DX Base for many years. And while it hasn't seen a major update since August 2006, its QSL label function is spectacular since it has Lists and Labels built in. You can custom design any number of labels, enqueue, print and so on with relative ease. It's one of the things I still love about DX Base, despite it being almost abandonware.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: