Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterfall display not only half screen...is this n  (Read 1578 times)
KL0PE

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2002, 09:56:15 PM »

I've noticed that in both DigiPan and WinPSKse that the waterfall display only goes halfway across the screen.  Now I have no trouble sending and receiving PSK31 signals, but why doesn't the display go all the way across?  I've checked my receive filters and they're wide open.  This isn't a critical problem, just a puzzling one.  Please help.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 12:40:35 PM »

I'm sort of new to this myself but I've found that when I switch my receiver from USB to CW the amount of waterfall in Digipan drops off dramatically. I have a fairly narrow CW filter installed and I think it's because the CW filter is kicking in as opposed to the (fairly wide) SSB system.

My guess is that "wide open" on your receiver only has a bandwidth of about 2000 hz.

73, Creede
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2002, 05:48:11 PM »

Do you mean the signal inside the waterfall goes half way, or the waterfall itself? Digipan has a waterfall window that goes completely accross the screen as I recall, so I assume you are talking about the signal. If you use a normal SSB voice IF filter, set the waterfall for a spectrum about 3 Khz wide (that setting is 2X on my MixW). Make sure your receiver's IF filter shift control knob is in the center so that you are not "off-set" inside your chosen filter. Did that help?  Griff.
KL0PE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2002, 11:33:24 AM »

What I meant is that the waterfall signal only goes about halfway across the screen even though the window itself is full screen.  I guess I'll have to tweak some settings, but now that I know that something is definitely amiss I at least have a good idea of where to begin looking.  I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't about to start pulling my hair out tracking down a non-existent problem.

Thanks!
KB1HGB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2002, 09:53:01 PM »

The reason from what I can tell is that the program was written for a particular display resolution. If I set my computer up for 640X480 resolution in the display properties then digipan waterfall fills the window, but if I set it at 1600X1200 (my normal setting because of big monitor) then the digipan waterfall only shows for about a quarter of the window.

-Robert
KB1HGB
KL0PE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2002, 01:08:36 AM »

Ah...this makes sense as I run at 1024x768.  So maybe it is a non-existent problem after all!  Thank you, my friend.
KB1HGB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2002, 08:07:29 AM »

Just as a note, I noticed this occurs in most of the PSK31 programs that I have tried except Hamscope. Hamscope ended up being my prefered program just because I don't have to change my resolution when I want to run it. Unfortunately I don't have a link handy for it but the program should be fairly easy to find.

-Robert
KB1HGB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: