Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-735 dilemma - your opinion pls  (Read 3731 times)
W7EJT

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

I have a 90% complete IC-735 "parts radio".

It needs the following (that I know about):

- VFO knob (I know, it's odd that that would be missing). Encoder seems to turn fine.
- rear (short) RCA jumper
- one oddball internal mini RF cable terminating in a 3 (or 4) pin connector (found by comparing to a "good" IC-735
- bottom feet / stand

I don't see any obvious damage inside. Physically, it's about average.

My question is - is it worth saving, or would you part it out?

Appreciate your comments...

Alan, W7EJT
KA5IWO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

If you can find a cheap parts unit to get the parts you need, then yes I would fix it.
The 735 is a good radio.

Kevin
KA5IWO
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »

It needs the following (that I know about)

"that I know about"...therein lies the caveat!
See what you can do to get it to fire up before you make any decisions.
If it was represented to you as a parts rig, you will be real lucky if it does!
Nothing worse than buying a parts rig for a parts rig that ends up as a (you guessed it) parts rig!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »

Wow, that depends on a lot of factors we don't know about.

What do you have into it?  If nothing, then you have room to spend some money to acquire the missing chassis parts.  What do you plan on doing with it?  Turn it around for profit or keep it to use?   Do you have the test equipment and expertise to repair simple to complex issues?

My first pass on this would be to get the radio to an electrical state where you can functionally test it.  Then you can decide if the rest of the repairs/replacements are worth your time and effort.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »

It needs the following (that I know about):

- VFO knob (I know, it's odd that that would be missing). Encoder seems to turn fine.
- rear (short) RCA jumper
- one oddball internal mini RF cable terminating in a 3 (or 4) pin connector (found by comparing to a "good" IC-735
- bottom feet / stand

None of the items listed are unobtanium, matter of fact, the cables could be fabricated by yourself if necessary. 

And a knob does not have to match exactly in order to be fitted to a shaft such that it can work the shaft. 

I would likely elect to do the cable fabrication using bits from junkbox and only purchasing that which is absolutely needed in order to check the rest of the rig's operation before delegating it to Hangar Queen partout status. 

BTW - cables ending with headers don't necessarily have to have the corresponding header connector in order to be made to work.  I have simply soldered stripped wires to the pins on the board or just removed the socket side from the board and soldered direct jumper wires when such are missing.  Since you say it is only a 2 or 4 pin connection, that should be relatively easy going.  What you need first is the Service Manual and Schematic, likely available as free .pdf download online, then ascertain the point-to-point connections for the thing, find those points in the radio and have at it. 

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:38:45 AM »

K7MH nailed it--'that you know about!'

It sounds like the rig has already been used as a parts rig, and as for the know being missing, could well be that it was taken off because it was better than the knob on another rig, and the other know was either n/g or was simply thrown out.

'WD has the right idea--don't spend substantial money on it until you're sure that it's worth while to do so.  73!
KA5IWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »

If you need the IC-735 service manual, send me an email to my address below.
Hopefully your 735 has not been butchered by some cb shop and can be salvaged for not too much time and money. I have repaired many of them and they are fine little hf rigs from there time.

ka5iwo@bellsouth.net

Kevin / KA5IWO
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »

It needs the following (that I know about)

"that I know about"...therein lies the caveat!
See what you can do to get it to fire up before you make any decisions.
If it was represented to you as a parts rig, you will be real lucky if it does!
Nothing worse than buying a parts rig for a parts rig that ends up as a (you guessed it) parts rig!

I agree, you should be able to devise some jumper quick jumpers to see if the radio will come to life at all.
I cases like this, i use some small gauge wire like #22 or whatever is appropriate to insert into the connector like the original pin would. The only trick is to know what was the characteristics of the internal rf cable. Did you get the numbers off cable used on the good unit? Even if you you are not sure, just using wire temporarily should get something to work .
(hopefully).

I bought a 735 from an estate. It's a nice simple radio that I take to various stationary outings such as field day and special events. Fix it if you can.
When i see a situation like you have, it makes me wonder what the original owner was trying to or did do to it. It's definitly a red flag. Cobbling it together will at least give you a base line from which to make a decision.

W7EJT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »

" it makes me wonder what the original owner was trying to or did do to it. It's definitly a red flag. Cobbling it together will at least give you a base line from which to make a decision."

Couldn't agree more. What were they thinking?

I'm trying (exchanging) certain parts out with my "good" 735. Next will be the front controls/display unit.
W7EJT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »

Just an update - exchanged the front display unit (with my "good 735") - Bingo! Works! Including the VFO encoder.

Next will be exchanging the top main board (get results) - then the bottom main board, same...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: