Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PowerSDR 2.6.4 - Huge Disappointment  (Read 11642 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »

Downloaded the update. Started the install on my Win7 64 bit machine. Popped the top on a cold Shiner. Next thing you know, it was time to reboot. Barely got two sips in. Restart, turn on Flex 3000. Sip. Drivers loaded, optimization started. Sip. Start 2.6.4. Firmware update. Sip. Done. Start PowerSDR 2.6.4, and a brand new radio. Start PowerSDR 2.6.4. Enjoy.

Really? Could Flex possibly allow us at least time to enjoy one whole beer during the upgrade?

Good job.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »

Well I don't partake in those type of chilled beverages myself but the fact that  about half the time I forget to run SDR data transfer before cleaning the old version off my HD is enough to drive me to drink! Shocked Not Flex's fault though.  Another nicely done set of improvements, especially the ones pertaining to my 1500.
Michael
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »

Downloaded the update. Started the install on my Win7 64 bit machine. Popped the top on a cold Shiner. Next thing you know, it was time to reboot. Barely got two sips in. Restart, turn on Flex 3000. Sip. Drivers loaded, optimization started. Sip. Start 2.6.4. Firmware update. Sip. Done. Start PowerSDR 2.6.4, and a brand new radio. Start PowerSDR 2.6.4. Enjoy.

Really? Could Flex possibly allow us at least time to enjoy one whole beer during the upgrade?

Good job.
  I certainly enjoy using my Flex 1500. And this version of PowerSDR seems to be working
just fine. BUT, I have a question, I keep reading the statement" it's like getting a brand new
radio". Not to be a party pooper, but, how is this version, or even the previous version, of
PowerSDR like getting a brand new radio? In the case of the 1500 the Spectrum display is
centered. like it should have been all along. There are no new "FEATURES" or abilities added
to the radio/PowerSDR. And from the list of changes, just minor bug fixes.
Basically, my Flex 1500 works just like it has all along. (just fine) But, nothing new to brag
about. Now, if it had suddenly changed into a Flex 6500, that would be something to brag
about!  Cheesy
  To me a brand new radio is one that has features that are different and an improvement
from what I have had before. Example, I have and still have, a Yaesu FT-890AT. A very
nice radio that preforms really well. Last year, I bought a Yaesu FT-1000MP MK V. I much
better preforming radio! Lots of difference between the two. Yet, they are both from the
same manufacturer. The MK V has features that the 890 doesn't. That to me is having a
new radio. (and in this case, one I have wanted a long time)
 So, it would be interesting to know, not only from you, but, other Flex users, what is it
that getting an update to PowerSDR that makes your radio a new radio!
james
WD5GWY

(stirring the pot)

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »

James is right on.  These Flex guys are so brainwashed by Flex's marking nonsense that they actually believe that bug fixes are new features and that is like having a new radio.  It is also interesting that there are just as many guys on the Flex reflector reporting bad upgrade experiences with the latest PowerSDR.  Go figure! 

I have a Flex 5000, and while I appreciated the long awaited bug fixes, they are bugs that should have not been there in the first place in an official non-beta release.  It is not like getting a new radio, it is like getting a fixed radio.

Flex started the "its like getting a new radio" marketing blurb a long while back and guys took it hook line and sinker!  They are like parrots.  Good for Flex marketing, embarrassing for them.

-robert
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »

Good job.
  I certainly enjoy using my Flex 1500. And this version of PowerSDR seems to be working
just fine. BUT, I have a question, I keep reading the statement" it's like getting a brand new
radio". Not to be a party pooper, but, how is this version, or even the previous version, of
PowerSDR like getting a brand new radio? In the case of the 1500 the Spectrum display is
centered. like it should have been all along. There are no new "FEATURES" or abilities added
to the radio/PowerSDR. And from the list of changes, just minor bug fixes.
Basically, my Flex 1500 works just like it has all along. (just fine) But, nothing new to brag
about. Now, if it had suddenly changed into a Flex 6500, that would be something to brag
about!  Cheesy
  To me a brand new radio is one that has features that are different and an improvement
from what I have had before. Example, I have and still have, a Yaesu FT-890AT. A very
nice radio that preforms really well. Last year, I bought a Yaesu FT-1000MP MK V. I much
better preforming radio! Lots of difference between the two. Yet, they are both from the
same manufacturer. The MK V has features that the 890 doesn't. That to me is having a
new radio. (and in this case, one I have wanted a long time)
 So, it would be interesting to know, not only from you, but, other Flex users, what is it
that getting an update to PowerSDR that makes your radio a new radio!
james
WD5GWY

(stirring the pot)

James,
I kind of figure that phrase to be overused a bit now too. Earlier in the life of PSDR when new features like the TNF were being added on a regular basis, then I felt more like I was getting a new radio. The thing to remember though is the fact that things CAN be corrected. In the past if a radio had a real or perceived  design flaw, you were pretty much stuck even with the ones you could flash an EEPROM with.You're relating a pretty good jump with your example of an FT-890AT to a FT-1000MP  MK V. I think more along the lines of when I had a Yaesu FT-450 and then they released a " new improved" FT-450D that corrected all the things users found wrong on the original. It is kind of a bummer when you walk out of HRO with your brand new radio only to find out a few months later that the manufacturer is releasing a "D" model. Just my thoughts.
Michael, W4HIJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:47:34 AM »

James is right on.  These Flex guys are so brainwashed by Flex's marking nonsense that they actually believe that bug fixes are new features and that is like having a new radio.  It is also interesting that there are just as many guys on the Flex reflector reporting bad upgrade experiences with the latest PowerSDR.  Go figure! 

I have a Flex 5000, and while I appreciated the long awaited bug fixes, they are bugs that should have not been there in the first place in an official non-beta release.  It is not like getting a new radio, it is like getting a fixed radio.

Flex started the "its like getting a new radio" marketing blurb a long while back and guys took it hook line and sinker!  They are like parrots.  Good for Flex marketing, embarrassing for them.

-robert

I bet that "Flex 5000" is a big hit on ch. 6
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »

-robert

You should do yourself a favor and put " robert" on ignore as I've done. I do find it interesting he cherry picks a few instances from the Flex reflector of folks having upgrade issues. What he neglects to tell everyone is that all of the upgrade issues are usually some sort of human error on the users part and are quickly resolved.  In fact, I haven't seen one go for more than an hour or two so far without being resolved. Wouldn't do to relate that though. Might get in the way of the good old agenda.
Michael W4HIJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »

A new release of software to configure a "Software Defined Radio" does indeed constitute a "new radio" by virtue of the "radio" being "defined" by the new "software".
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »

A new release of software to configure a "Software Defined Radio" does indeed constitute a "new radio" by virtue of the "radio" being "defined" by the new "software".
Really? As I understand software revision etc., going from 2.5.3 to 2.6.4 is an incremental
update,as in bug fixes etc. not new features and not a new version. Were it a new version
it would be 3.*.* indicating a version with new FEATURES (and probably new bugs as well  Cheesy )
 It still falls short of creating a NEW RADIO by adding new features and functionality. To me,
that is the bottom line for a new radio. Getting something that has features and functions that
the previous radio/version did not have.
  As I said in my previous post, my 1500 still works exactly as it did prior to this version of
PowerSDR. The ONLY noticeable difference is the spectrum display where the IF indicator is now
centered. And according to Tim Ellison (Flex radio developer) that particular bug only effected
the Flex 1500 and not the 3000 or 5000. And that is in itself, not a new feature, but, a correction
of a programming fault(bug).
  If simply refreshing the software and firmware of a radio like the Flex created a new radio, then
Flex couldn't build and sell them fast enough. Especially since PowerSDR is free. (and open source) After all, hams are noted for being miserly. Free has always been one of my favorites!
So, still I'm not convinced that getting an incremental update of the firmware and software(PowerSDR) creates a new radio. When Flex adds RTTY decode/send, JT65 decode/send
or other digital modes with no other hardware/software needed to make it work to PowerSDR, then I'll be convinced that I have indeed gotten a new radio. Grin
james
WD5GWY

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »

James,
I kind of figure that phrase to be overused a bit now too. Earlier in the life of PSDR when new features like the TNF were being added on a regular basis, then I felt more like I was getting a new radio. The thing to remember though is the fact that things CAN be corrected. In the past if a radio had a real or perceived  design flaw, you were pretty much stuck even with the ones you could flash an EEPROM with.You're relating a pretty good jump with your example of an FT-890AT to a FT-1000MP  MK V. I think more along the lines of when I had a Yaesu FT-450 and then they released a " new improved" FT-450D that corrected all the things users found wrong on the original. It is kind of a bummer when you walk out of HRO with your brand new radio only to find out a few months later that the manufacturer is releasing a "D" model. Just my thoughts.
Michael, W4HIJ
Michael, you are correct. My comparison between the 890AT and the MK V is a bit much. Your example is much better and closer to reality. And it strikes closer to what the version/incremental
updates to PowerSDR currently are. ( 2.5.3 to 2.6.4) In your example, things were corrected either in hardware or if possible firmware. (I don't know if the 450 could be flashed to the D version or not) But, it did not add features to the 450 line as far as I know. I had a friend that had a similar experience with the 450 to yours. He had just bought a 450 and not long afterwards the 450D came along. He wasn't real happy, but, he wanted a 450 and got it. (later sold his radio and got a 450D)
  Anyway, I am enjoying this discussion and hope it continues without any flaming. That was not my intention. I simply wanted to know how adding new firmware and software that added no new
features and functions that were not available in a previous version of PowerSDR, could be considered getting a new radio.
james
WD5GWY

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »

One thing that I failed to mention, is the addition of new bands for European hams.
For them, that is getting a new radio. They still have to jump thru some hoops to get
that part of the upgrade/update working. But, at least they now have access to the
spectrum allotted to them.
james
WD5GWY

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »

-robert

Why, do you operate there?  You seem to have the CBer mentality, that's for sure.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 12:47:08 PM »

Really? As I understand software revision etc., going from 2.5.3 to 2.6.4 is an incremental
update,as in bug fixes etc. not new features and not a new version. Were it a new version
it would be 3.*.* indicating a version with new FEATURES (and probably new bugs as well  Cheesy )
 It still falls short of creating a NEW RADIO by adding new features and functionality. To me,
that is the bottom line for a new radio. Getting something that has features and functions that
the previous radio/version did not have.
  As I said in my previous post, my 1500 still works exactly as it did prior to this version of
PowerSDR. The ONLY noticeable difference is the spectrum display where the IF indicator is now
centered. And according to Tim Ellison (Flex radio developer) that particular bug only effected
the Flex 1500 and not the 3000 or 5000. And that is in itself, not a new feature, but, a correction
of a programming fault(bug).
  If simply refreshing the software and firmware of a radio like the Flex created a new radio, then
Flex couldn't build and sell them fast enough. Especially since PowerSDR is free. (and open source) After all, hams are noted for being miserly. Free has always been one of my favorites!
So, still I'm not convinced that getting an incremental update of the firmware and software(PowerSDR) creates a new radio. When Flex adds RTTY decode/send, JT65 decode/send
or other digital modes with no other hardware/software needed to make it work to PowerSDR, then I'll be convinced that I have indeed gotten a new radio. Grin
james
WD5GWY

2.6.4 does add new features and functionality.

Added new 60m band segments for radios TURFed for UK_Plus
60m band allocation added for Sweden
Modified 160 and 6m bands for radios TURFed for Italy
Modified 11 and 10m bands for radios TURFed for Russia
Modified 6m band for radios TURFed for France
1500: RX passband is now centered in the middle of the Panadapter with default DB
CAT: Increased the maximum CAT port baud rate to 115.2k
Console: CHU frequencies now added to WWV bandstack
Installer: Option added to uninstall process to remove databases for “clean” uninstall
Profiles: Added FLEX-1500 Blanking time and Mic Boost to Transmit Profiles
Setup: Added a feature to capture the current VFO-A frequency for Frequency Calibration test
Added Feature to modify color and line width for the UK/Sweden 60m band segment indicator

New features. New functionality. New radio.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »

-robert

Why, do you operate there?  You seem to have the CBer mentality, that's for sure.

Really? Seems you are the one emulating the guy who sits on ch19 harassing truckdrivers while cowering behind a meaningless moniker.

Who are you hiding from?
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »

2.6.4 does add new features and functionality.

Added new 60m band segments for radios TURFed for UK_Plus
60m band allocation added for Sweden
Modified 160 and 6m bands for radios TURFed for Italy
Modified 11 and 10m bands for radios TURFed for Russia
Modified 6m band for radios TURFed for France
1500: RX passband is now centered in the middle of the Panadapter with default DB
CAT: Increased the maximum CAT port baud rate to 115.2k
Console: CHU frequencies now added to WWV bandstack
Installer: Option added to uninstall process to remove databases for “clean” uninstall
Profiles: Added FLEX-1500 Blanking time and Mic Boost to Transmit Profiles
Setup: Added a feature to capture the current VFO-A frequency for Frequency Calibration test
Added Feature to modify color and line width for the UK/Sweden 60m band segment indicator

New features. New functionality. New radio.
Ok, I give up!!!  Cheesy
I guess the built in digital modes is too much to ask!
james
WD5GWY
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: