Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cluster can also double as an IQ Test.  (Read 1757 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »

The cluster is sometimes a great way to get a Laugh.  How many time have you seen someone list a Dx station 100Hz-200hz from the real simplex frequency and then you hear a few cluster sheep calling non stop with a mickey mouse voice Grin

How hard is it to tune in a station?
Has the cluster really made people that inept?

I use the cluster but I can still listen and tune a dial!  People who just follow the cluster frequency are just exposing their lack of operating skills to the world.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »

I don't see that very often but everyday I see wrong calls entered and many do not listen to hear the actual call so it quickly becomes a zoo.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:56:31 AM »

To us CW guys, phone guys will ALWAYS sound like Mickey Mouse, even when tuned in correctly :-)

I learned (little gun CW station) shortly after finding cluster spots, that I never tune to the frequency on the cluster or any nice integer kHz offset if I want to be heard. It's essential to be a few hundred Hz off otherwise I'm just part of the cluster-****.

Every so often I call CQ on CW, and someone comes back and tells me I'm "230 Hz high". Huh? Maybe they think CW is channelized.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:01:47 AM by N3QE » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:48:40 AM »

I don't see that very often but everyday I see wrong calls entered and many do not listen to hear the actual call so it quickly becomes a zoo.
These people really should read the DX Code of Conduct:

•I will only call if I can copy the DX station properly.
•I will not trust the DX cluster and will be sure of the DX station's call sign before calling.

For the whole list, go to: http://dx-code.org/
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:01:03 AM »

To us CW guys, phone guys will ALWAYS sound like Mickey Mouse, even when tuned in correctly :-)

I learned (little gun CW station) shortly after finding cluster spots, that I never tune to the frequency on the cluster or any nice integer kHz offset if I want to be heard. It's essential to be a few hundred Hz off otherwise I'm just part of the cluster-****.

Every so often I call CQ on CW, and someone comes back and tells me I'm "230 Hz high". Huh? Maybe they think CW is channelized.

I do about 2/3rds of my operating on phone and 1/3rd on cw and I agree.  To use a baseball metaphor you need to hit 'em where they ain't so you aren't part of the herd.

Hey, Vinnie.  Your Pirates aren't doing too bad after that bad start!
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 05:20:39 AM »

It boggles my mind why anybody would call a station they cannot hear. Maybe it's the only time they get to hear their own callsign?
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »

These people really should read the DX Code of Conduct:

•I will not trust the DX cluster and will be sure of the DX station's call sign before calling.

For the whole list, go to: http://dx-code.org/

Problem is, MOST of the A-Holes who do this type of garbage have never even HEARD of the DX Code of Conduct, much less read it.  These guys live in slime holes and only come out when its time to piss off DXers. I have always thought most of them are Netnutters and ragchewers who simply cannot stand it when DX shows up on THEIR frequencies.
73, Gene AF3Y
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »

That's Odd, I see it almost every time a distant Dx entity is listed and working a pileup. Eventually somebody comes along and posts a frequency that is slightly off and then a bunch of cluster sheep start calling on that same frequency and a few even go back and re-post the wrong frequency on the cluster again.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »

It boggles my mind why anybody would call a station they cannot hear. Maybe it's the only time they get to hear their own callsign?

I am not condoning the idiot that does that when he hears nothing at all, but I have been in situations where I hear the Dx come in and out with Fast QSB and sometimes I take a chance and make a call when he's on a peak but sometimes by time he answers back he has faded out again.   I have had this happen with Iran and also with stations in the dead zone near the Philippines.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »

The cluster is sometimes a great way to get a Laugh.  How many time have you seen someone list a Dx station 100Hz-200hz from the real simplex frequency and then you hear a few cluster sheep calling non stop with a mickey mouse voice Grin

How hard is it to tune in a station?
Has the cluster really made people that inept?

I use the cluster but I can still listen and tune a dial!  People who just follow the cluster frequency are just exposing their lack of operating skills to the world.

I think part of the problem might be -

1) The DX was very weak and it's hard to get a handle on someone 33.

2) Some peoples voice or equipment make you really question whether you're on it or not.  You move up and down and then say.. "wow, I'll be damn"..

3) Some people like myself don't have their full hearing.

4) In contests, the exact spot isn't important.  It's a helper for others and they can tune it in.  Some people like to operate just off of even figures, instead of 14.255, they're go to 256.5 or something.   If I'm in a contest I probably had him at 255 and I'll put that.   Contact made, everyone happy.

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 05:15:09 AM »

That's Odd, I see it almost every time a distant Dx entity is listed and working a pileup. Eventually somebody comes along and posts a frequency that is slightly off and then a bunch of cluster sheep start calling on that same frequency and a few even go back and re-post the wrong frequency on the cluster again.

Maybe it's just a generational thing, but a few hundred Hz off is no big deal for me. For me it is not "wrong" but instead "dang close".

Somewhere I probably still have the OO postcards for sending on a harmonic of my intended frequency when I was a novice with only 3 crystals :-)

Tim.
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »

Hi,

Every so often some hopeful soul will put me on the cluster as V74JA what a mess that creates.  I realized what was going on, in the middle of the pile-up, when a station in Haiti wanted to know why I was not in QRZ, and someone broke-in to say, "because it is V47, NOT V74".  The last time it happened, it took a half hour of constantly emphasizing I was V47, to straighten that mess out.

See you at Dayton, with my fresh new Contest Callsign: V49J.  

John  V47JA
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:29:22 AM by V47JA » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:38:13 AM »

Yet another disturbing trend I am seeing, this time, on cluster, are people posting THEIR OWN TX frequency for a split operation......NO NO NO!!!....YOU POST THE DX STATION'S TX FREQ and THEN IN THE COMMENTS  FIELD YOU TYPE: "QSK 14.225"or whatever.....Man, I really think there needs to be some kind of revampment regarding operating procedures questions on the license exams...for ALL aspects, including cluster..these trends are very disturbing indeed......

As for this: Hey, Vinnie.  Your Pirates aren't doing too bad after that bad start!......

REPLY:  Grin..... (while it lasts, Chris...and I need to get down to a game, the MLB schedule makers are morons and I just haven't had the time)......

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »

Yet another disturbing trend I am seeing, this time, on cluster, are people posting THEIR OWN TX frequency for a split operation......NO NO NO!!!....YOU POST THE DX STATION'S TX FREQ and THEN IN THE COMMENTS  FIELD YOU TYPE: "QSK 14.225"or whatever.....Man, I really think there needs to be some kind of revampment regarding operating procedures questions on the license exams...for ALL aspects, including cluster..these trends are very disturbing indeed......

On-air etiquette? All for it.

Cluster etiquette and required accuracy on a license exam? That's too far.

If the cluster disturbs you, just don't look there. I don't want it to become a place for abuse etc. but honest mistakes will appear there.

Tim.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

Yet another disturbing trend I am seeing, this time, on cluster, are people posting THEIR OWN TX frequency for a split operation......NO NO NO!!!....YOU POST THE DX STATION'S TX FREQ and THEN IN THE COMMENTS  FIELD YOU TYPE: "QSK 14.225"or whatever...

I don't know about other software but HRD will post whatever freq the active VFO is set to!
Since the guy is split and your most likely changing the TX VFo to find a opening it's going to be the active one and if you make the contact and then make a cluster spot HRD will proceed to fill in the wrong info.  This has caught me on one or two occasions, I have learned to look closely at what freq HRD is auto filling into the cluster form.  So basically I am saying this is a mistake that can happen to anyone if they are using HRD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: