Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I understand how to use RIT function on my Ten Tec R4030?  (Read 7555 times)
KC9YKI

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »

I need a little help here...after 20 yrs away from ham radio I'm close to getting back on the air with CW QRP...using a Ten Tec R4030.  The instructions that came with it are perfunctory at best.  This is how I understand the radio is to be used with RIT....Someone please tell me I'm right or how I'm screwing up.

To make a CQ call: 

1. Find what I hope to be an unused frequency
2. Turn on the RIT function, then move the receive frequency to a point where, if the frequency WAS in use, I'd be able to hear the users (because I can't be sure a frequency is not in use while listening on the frequency itself--effectively zero-beating anyone on the frequency).
3. If the frequency is not in use, call QRL?--then call CQ if no response.

To answer a CQ:

1. Zero-beat the call
2. Turn on the RIT, moving it to a place where I can hear the calling station
3. Answer the CQ

This seems very cumbersome.  I can live with it, but years ago when I was on the air (with a Century 21 txcvr) I don't remember it being quite this time-consuming.

I'm wondering if I'm just not understanding how it works.  I wonder why the RIT doesn't allow for setting it specific number of kHz away from whatever frequency the transmitter is set at so that it automatically adjusts to bring the zero-beated station into audio range.

I'm very close to making my first attempt on the air, but I want to make sure I understand this before I try it.

If it's a stupid question, please tell me why.

Thank you!

Jim

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

I agree, the manual isn't clear.  But it SHOULD automatically apply the proper offset between
TX and RX without any additional steps on your part.  When  you hit the key the frequency
shifts up (or down) 700Hz or so, so that you are transmitting on the same frequency that
you were listening to.

That's with the RIT off.  When you turn it on it changes the default shift.  Generally I leave
it off unless a station comes back to me somewhat off frequency, then I turn it on and use
it to tune in the other station to a pleasing pitch (centered in my filter) without changing my
transmit frequency.

Here's how to test it:  set the rig to CW mode and tune in WWV at 10 MHz.  You want to
tune in the carrier (not the modulation) until it is centered in your passband with an appropriate
audio beat note.  The display SHOULD read 10.0000 MHz:  that is the frequency of the
center of your passband.

If so, then you don't have to do anything special to use RIT.  Most of the time you leave
it off and rely on the default frequency shift in the rig.  If a station responds to you
outside your passband then turn on the RIT and adjust it for best reception.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: