Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Blue  (Read 3717 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »

Its official, MS will be shipping Windows 8.1 some time later this year code named Windows Blue. It will be a free upgrade for existing Win 8 users. No details on time or features.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KV4PL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

Lets hope 1 feature is the start button
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »

I have the upgrade for MS Windows Pro 8.0 on the shelf, still wrapped in retail cellophane packaging, waiting for release of the Intel Haswell processors and Lynx Point series 8 chipset motherboards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Looks like I will have to wait at least for 3Q 2013, based on recent Intel reports of USB 3.0 design flaw in the initial (C1 stepping) Lynx Point series 8 chipset.  C2 stepping chipsets expected 2 or 3 months later.
http://om47864535.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/intel-there-is-a-usb-3-0-design-flaws-in-haswell-processor/

Given the product delays from Intel, I may just install Microsoft Blue (Windows 8.1) directly.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »

I have the upgrade for MS Windows Pro 8.0 on the shelf, still wrapped in retail cellophane packaging, waiting for release of the Intel Haswell processors and Lynx Point series 8 chipset motherboards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Looks like I will have to wait at least for 3Q 2013, based on recent Intel reports of USB 3.0 design flaw in the initial (C1 stepping) Lynx Point series 8 chipset.  C2 stepping chipsets expected 2 or 3 months later.
http://om47864535.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/intel-there-is-a-usb-3-0-design-flaws-in-haswell-processor/

Given the product delays from Intel, I may just install Microsoft Blue (Windows 8.1) directly.

Haswell has promise but 3rd generation I cores are not bad on power or perfomance and I would not wait on it to upgrade OS. 

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:32:59 AM »

Lets hope 1 feature is the start button.
The marketplace responded ... which is why Microsoft Blue is a priority.
My Apple iPad tablet works fine, I don't need a desktop version.

Even WW2 had major blunders --- A Bridge Too Far.

==
... I would not wait on an upgrade.
John -

It is a trade-off, as many things are in the purchase decision.
The H77 motherboard that I used for initial DIY CaseMod design/plan,
has a few issues - such as:

Mini-Card slot does not have USB functionality on connector,
so the Intel Advanced-N 6235ANHMW Wi-Fi WLAN and Bluetooth 4.0 mini card does not work properly.  
Bluetooth function uses the USB connection, so it is dead on these boards.  
Designers focused on SSD usage of slot, not Wireless.

-- That is corrected on H87 motherboard, with loss of one USB port on internal headers.

I have a working DP55WG mother board (LGA1156) in my main computer running Win7 --
 so I am not in a hurry for building replacement in a recently acquired 10-year old HP a-series mATX case (Xmas 2003 gift to my late mother).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:16:10 AM by W9GB » Logged
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »

Now that I have been using Win 8 for 2 months at work, I don't really feel the need for a start button. There is one, sort of. Move the mouse to the lower left corner and a "start" icon shows up. Click on that, and you go to the start screen. Yea the old start menu system is gone and frankly I don't miss it. I can start programs faster with the new start screen. Two clicks for almost everything I use. The old menu system, unless it was anchored, required more clicks to start something.  I have removed everything from the start screen that I don't actually click on and use in a week's time. That makes for a very small start screen and the other stuff is accessible if needed by right-clicking and clicking "all apps".  The windows key that I have always wondered what use it was for . . is finally very useful.

I knocked Win 8 like a lot of people here before I started using it full time. Now I actually like it.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »

The more I play with window 8 the more I like it. It grows on you.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »

The more I play with window 8 the more I like it. It grows on you.

Yea you have to figure out some of the new changes and how that make sense to use. But once you do, it works.

Here is a fast paced but pretty goos summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi8NpwiEuzc

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »

And, it is stable and behaves pretty well.

Don KF7DS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »

And, it is stable and behaves pretty well.
Don KF7DS

I agree

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: