The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing CAT data (DB9)  (Read 4250 times)
AB4D

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »

I've been making some changes to my station, and need to share the CAT data from my transceiver with both a PC for my CAT/Logging software, and a few other devices (Auto Tuner and Amplifier). Can I simply purchase a DB9 Y cable, or do I need something more, such as a serial port hub? 

Thanks.

Jim, AB4D
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »

I've been making some changes to my station, and need to share the CAT data from my transceiver with both a PC for my CAT/Logging software, and a few other devices (Auto Tuner and Amplifier). Can I simply purchase a DB9 Y cable, or do I need something more, such as a serial port hub? 

What CAT protocol is in use? Does the CAT/Logging software continuously direct the transceiver to report its frequency?

Dave, AA6YQ
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:33:52 AM »

The software is HRD, I believe it does require continuous input from the transceiver.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »

What CAT protocol is in use (or what model transceiver are you using)?
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »

I am using both Yaesu and Kenwood. The DB9 cat cable from each rig are connected to a manual data switch box. Depending on which rig I am using, the output from that goes to a Serial to USB converter, then to the computer. However, I want to share the serial data from the radio between the computer and an amplifier, an OM Power Auto Tune amp.

I can run a cable from the serial port switch box through the amp, then to the Serial/USB adapter. Logistically though, it would be a bit easier to split/share the serial data before the USB adapter. Just trying to see if it can be done. I've read in some application, a serial hub has been used for serial sharing, but not sure about ham radio hardware applications.

Jim AB4D
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »

If the transceiver control application is continuously prompting the transceiver to report its frequency, if the amplifier and tuner are both capable of decoding the transceiver's responses, and if the amplifier and tuner are both passive (meaning that they receive CAT commands but never transmit CAT commands) then you can connect the transceiver serial port's TXD signal to both the the amplifier serial port's RXD signal and the tuner serial port's RXD signal.  Both the amplifier and tuner must be configured to use the transceiver's CAT protocol -- which may be problematic if you wish to switch between transceivers that use different CAT protocols.

Dave, AA6YQ

K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »

My first reaction to this was, "Whaaaa?Huh?"

Then I read AA6YQ's response which makes sense.

But it might be possible if you do some conversions and if the CAT commands and response are identical between rigs. Here is a discussion I found: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/multiple-rs232-devices-on-same-wire-pair.32890/ that seems to be abut the same issue you're facing.

The search string I used ("share rs232 data among two devices") came up with a bunch of links. Maybe one of them (or one device) will do what you want.

Probably easier to use two Raspberry Pi computers with a KVM switch and let each of them control one xcvr.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »

My first reaction to this was, "Whaaaa?Huh?"

Then I read AA6YQ's response which makes sense.

But it might be possible if you do some conversions and if the CAT commands and response are identical between rigs. Here is a discussion I found: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/multiple-rs232-devices-on-same-wire-pair.32890/ that seems to be abut the same issue you're facing.

The search string I used ("share rs232 data among two devices") came up with a bunch of links. Maybe one of them (or one device) will do what you want.

Probably easier to use two Raspberry Pi computers with a KVM switch and let each of them control one xcvr.

An RS-232 driver (e.g. a serial port TXD signal) can be connected to more than one RS-232 receiver (e.g. a serial port RXD signal). What you can't do is have more than one RS-232 driver connected to the same signal.

To manage the complexity of enabling an amplifier and tuner to track the frequency of multiple transceivers that report their frequency with different CAT formats, the amplifier and tuner should be connected to an independent serial port that issues frequency reports in one format no matter which transceiver is currently selected. I don't know whether or not HRD can do this; if no one else here knows, you could contact HRD's support organization and ask.

Dave, AA6YQ

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:04:06 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you are attempting to do the sharing on a hardware level.  It's much easier to use software like VSPE to create a "splitter" situation where one virtual port can be split into X other virtual ports. 

73, Floyd - K8AC
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you are attempting to do the sharing on a hardware level.  It's much easier to use software like VSPE to create a "splitter" situation where one virtual port can be split into X other virtual ports. 

How would one connect a tuner's CAT input to a virtual serial port? How would one connect an amplifier's CAT input to a virtual serial port?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: