Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: very bad RFI  (Read 2689 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

is this bad for my receivers when it's this strong-and can anyone ID what it may be caused by? It's been around for 3 months now and thankfully only intermittent, although severe, spanning the MW/HF bands. Here's a very short clip of it-thanks for the help.
http://s739.photobucket.com/user/ridgerocker2001/media/MVI_0205_zpsb3ea50d0.mp4.html
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

could be corona, could be other QRM from dirty switching.  if there are periods when it is less irregular, verify a pocket AM radio picks it up, and does so down by the power panel, and then start flipping breakers until it becomes vanishingly irregular.  that way, you can tell if it's in the house.

if not, chances are it could be powerline corona, and you can zero in by turning the radio to find the loudest signal (which will be end-on to the ferrite bar in the internal antenna) and then head to where it's screamingly loudest.  then report it to the power company.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:16 AM »

Thank you for the help KD0REQ.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »

While very annoying, its not likely to damage your receivers.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

Yeah appreciate that AA4PB-silly, I know but at times it almost blows the speaker and I was beginning to wonder if it isn't hard on at least the audio section.
That "corona" thing is fascinating. I have utility lines not 20' from the shack up here on the 3rd (top) floor. I also have Xfinity service cables (9) going just over my head and just next to the feed of my 100' wire. I also have one of those older large satellite dishes up there feeding my Russian neighbor's TV. Tons of HF hash even with good rf grounding! It's s4-7, but will eat into voice on weaker signals.
I do get that above RFI on the pocket radio so I know it's a matter of hunting it down when I get the time.
Thanks again for the leads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: