Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter antenna - vertical vs dipole  (Read 1446 times)
WB0KSL

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »

OK, I have next to zero experience on 6 meters.  I live in a tightly controlled HOA environment.  My HF antenna is a gutter downspout and SGC tuner.  VHF and UHF antennas are inside a screened (Dacron screen) in porch.  I would like to put up at least something for 6 meters.  My choices are pretty much limited to a wire dipole on the upper inside wall of the porch, or a vertical worked against the aluminum bug screening underneath the porch flooring.  My gut inclination is toward the latter, as there should be little gain difference between the two, and anything other than local will be scrambled in polarity by the time it gets to the DX anyway.  I'll lose local horizontal polarized contacts, but gain the ability to get into a few 6 meter repeaters.  And before anyone suggests, no, I don't want to move, no, I don't have trees higher than 6 feet, no, I don't want a divorce... :-)

73 de wb0ksl
John

K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »

Hi, John.

Sounds like you may not be in Olathe anymore ??

Very low to the ground, I would go with a vertical dipole, even on 6 M. You won't get much ground wave, obviously, but for 6 M skip, you might be surprised.
I tried a 1/4 wave vertical on 6M just as an experiment using my large HF ground radial system and it worked amazingly well on skip stuff. Could barely hear
O.P., but worked many stations 500 to 1000 miles away with decent signals when the band was open. Just don't get the antenna too high; if the top of the
dipole is over 5/8ths off the ground, in theory, the main lobe deteriorates and the higher lobe gets larger. On 6 M I would recommend some kind of balun
or balanced feed and pull the transmission line off perpendicular at least 1/4 wavelength. Going back to the horizontal antenna....a low horizontal antenna has
a very elevated main lobe....not so hot for 6 M. Probably would work, but I think I would put my money on a vertical. Oh, one other good option would be a full wave loop...only about 54" on a side......

It will be interesting to see what other comments you get.

73,  Jon,  K0ZN
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:37:04 PM »

Jon,

Thanks for the reply.  I do still live in Olathe, but the XYL finally wore me down and we live in Prairie Highlands now.  Right on the tee for the 9th hole.  And I don't even play golf!  Go figure.  But I have learned not to upset She Who Must Be Obeyed.  I can do a vertical dipole.  And I hadn't even thought about the full wave loop.  Both excellent suggestions.  I know I can't work miracles,  but I want to do the best with what I have to work with.

73 de wb0ksl
John
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »

If the gutter downspout and tuner work on HF, they make work "better" on 6m, provided the tuner can find a match.

But stuff is more lossy on VHF.

A good approach might be to install a good mobile 6m antenna on your vehicle, park it outside, and run coax back to the "shack," hidden by bushes or whatever.  Then, if the band really opens up and gets exciting, you may be motivated to take the rig mobile, along with that antenna, find a high spot or a very "open" spot or someplace advantageous for VHF work, and just work it all from the mobile.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:52 PM »

Steve,

Well, it did find a match on 6 meters to the downspout, but not quickly or cheerfully.  No luck bringing up either of the two closest 6 meter repeaters, which I believe are up.  I may have to drive over a bit closer to verify that.  The idea of using the mobile as my 6 meter antenna, then un-hooking from the coax to operate mobile when the band is open is a great idea, for someone with a better memory and attention  to detail than me ;-)

I'll see if I can bring up either repeater from the mobile, and go from there.

Thanks guys,

73 de wb0ksl
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: