Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a good brand of QRO wattmeter?  (Read 1500 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:27:38 PM »

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive wattmeter that covers 160 meters and will measure at least up to 2 kW with reasonable accuracy.

I have not kept up with who is currently manufacturing/selling watt meters of reasonable quality. All the Bird wattmeters I've found for sale are too pricey. Please educate me. :-)

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »

Drake W4, Drake W7 off of eBay all the time. They can be calibrated pretty easily with the Drake instructions available all over the web. Reasonably accurate.

New, I like the LP-100 http://www.telepostinc.com/lp100.html

And of course, the veteran in the crowd, a Bird with the proper slug.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:09:21 PM »

Drake W4, Drake W7 off of eBay all the time. They can be calibrated pretty easily with the Drake instructions available all over the web. Reasonably accurate.

Thanks, Phil! Looks like the W4 is in my price range.

New, I like the LP-100 http://www.telepostinc.com/lp100.html
And of course, the veteran in the crowd, a Bird with the proper slug.

Those are too pricey for me. I'm cheap. :-)

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »

Thanks, Phil! Looks like the W4 is in my price range.

I have an LP-100a. It's great, but after a friend had me repair their amp, I suggested they get a watt meter for tuning.

At Orlando Hamcation, he bought a W4. I've had it in my shack since then.

After using it for a while, I bid on one and got it for myself. It's a really nice wattmeter. I'd suggest you invest in a little calibration work to get it as accurate as it can be.

Also, it's not obvious, but you can remove the sensor portion and have it a couple of feet from where you put the meter cabinet itself.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »

Another choice is the Autek WM-1 computing wattmeter, a true peak reading wattmeter. It would be my first choice. Only drawback is that they won't give out a schematic for it. They don't want copies of it being made offshore somewhere. It is $160 so pretty close to the price of some non peak reading wattmeters.
If you don't care about the peak reading feature there are a lot of decent wattmeters out there. I used to have a W-4 and it was a good meter. Nice size and the remote sensor is always a good idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: