Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relay Controlled Power Distribution  (Read 5326 times)
N4KD

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »

I'm starting to collect a number of devices that I'd like to turn on and off as I use my main radio. The K3 is set up wonderfully to power a single device, such as a P3 display, or anything else that draws a very small amount of current. But, I'm to the point where I have more low power devices than I can safely connect to the K3.

So, as a follower of the belief that any idea I might have has already been developed, I'll ask this question. Does anyone know of a commercially available power distribution system, e.g. West Mountain's Rig Runners, that is relay-controlled so that I can turn on the DC power when I turn on the K3? The concept and description seems clear to me, but if you have any questions, ask here, or send me a message.

TU es 73,
Dave N4KD
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »

What about a simple 12V relay with the coil connected to the K3 accessory power jack?

Tor
N4OGW
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »

That's all I really need. And I'll probably throw it together tonight after a trip to Fry's. Usually by the time I buy the parts and put the thing together, I find that I could have bought it commercially and saved money doing so. The trip to Fry's usually adds to the total cost, as well...hi.

- Dave N4KD
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »

from the photo on the web site the K3 gets its DC via Powerpole connector. If so, you must have an external power supply that has a Powerpole connector on the end of the cable. use a Rigrunner for your distribution, and no relay needed - when you turn on the external power supply, power goes to all the units on it. You should be turning off the K3 before your turn off your power supply anyway. No need to run all the accessories through the switched 12v jack on the back of the k3.
If you don't need the fancy fusing on the rigrunner, just go with a powerpole junction connector - I have a 4-way unit I use with my HF/QRP in the park unit, with my solar panel, Gel Cell, and radio.
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »

I did end finding some Honeywell fire/burglar alarm products that would do the trick. The relay board was about $10 and the distribution board was about $25 for 8 fused outputs. I ended up spending about $10 at Frys to get 4 fused outputs on a PCB. An enclosure would have been another $10-$15, so I guess my project was a little less.

The advantage is that now I don't have to turn on the keyer, the P3, the W2, and the bias T voltage for the remote antenna tuner. One button on the K3 does it all.

Maybe I can use some more outputs to turn on the rotor control box, the band-decoder for my antenna switch, and who knows what else. With enough relays, the potential is endless. ( although the current might be limited.)

- Dave N4KD
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

I was going to suggest that you can use one relay to power additonal relay banks, each of which can be it's own AC supply, but the control signal can come from the master relay.  That way you could also use contactors for the 240 volts for your amplifier.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: