Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fyi for hamfest sellers  (Read 15663 times)
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »

The buyers ultimately set the price on everything.  If things are priced too high, they don't sell.

If you don't like the way a seller prices something, then consider his request mere lightweight amusement and move on.

You cannot, and never will, control the actions of others.  You can and are ethically bound to control your own response though, and becoming bossy isn't a particularly adult or nice response.

- k
KD2AKG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »

I agree with the OP about some of the hamfest prices. The last fest I went to was in April. LOTS of overpriced CB radios, some old, overpriced "boat anchors," and a few good deals as well. Very few vendors showed up. What I learned is if you're a new ham looking for a deal at a hamfest, you will likely be disappointed. Unless it's a Chinese HT. 

The best deals got were from locals in the area.
KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »

Just like in the show American Pickers, it is obvious there is much more sentimental attachment to the things hamfest sellers are over-pricing then there is a desire to sell. It obviously has nothing to do with what buyers are willing to pay since the items aren't selling. I wonder if the sellers just keep getting tables at the sales and bringing the same over-priced stuff just to bs with other hams? Perhaps hamfests should be divided into multiple areas - One section for sellers with overpriced stuff that just want to be there to talk. Another section for people who want to sell their goods and price them accordingly.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »

Oh yeah, I'm sure hamfest volunteers all over the country will get right on it.
How long have you even been licensed, anyway?

Good grief.

NA5XX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »

I have seen the price on used gear climb sharply over the last few years.  I think it is spurred by the cost of new equipment.  It is currently difficult to find a new radio priced under $1000.  This being the case, if you see a 20 year old radio at $600 it can be quite a deal.  In actuality, the radio is probably selling used for what it sold for when new.  I think the price of used radios would drop if there were more lower priced entry level radios.  All my HF radios (3) were purchased used and I cold probably sell them today at a profit.  But I like my radios and would not want to part with them.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »

I'm always amazed at how much "junk" is hauled to a hamfest, and then hauled back, unsold.  And are brought back next year again.  Doesn't seem worth the trouble.  Perhaps it's a social thing?  At Dayton, there are some who get stalls so they can get in early, park close.  Selling seems secondary, unless that "fool and his money" come along.

In theory boat anchors should be prime hamfest sellers:  Able to kick the tires, save on some hefty shipping charges.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:29 AM »

Well, that probably makes people like HRO happy.  If people want to keep heaving their junk all summer, then God bless 'em.  Probably the most physical activity they get all year....those SOS breakfasts and fried pork sandwich lunches can add up in calories.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 04:17:44 AM »

As an avid swapfest attendee, I have a 2 part theory as to the high prices.

The first is that reasonably priced equipment sells fast. Example: At Dayton 2010, I took 3 late model rigs with below eBay prices, and I didn't even get them out on the table. As I was trying to set up, I had people looking and asking the price while still sitting in my van. Since they had reasonable prices, they were gone before the gates opened to the public. So none of the people waiting at the gate even saw the deals. This happens quite often at most any swapfest. So your left with the higher prices. Another trick is to buy early, and then put the item on their table, and work to flip it for a profit. That also raises the prices the public sees.

The second reason is there are people who truly believe that there is a sucker born every minute. They put a ridiculously high price on an item because they really don't need sell it. But if they get the high price, then they can go get a new one and have it pretty much paid for. Some sucker paid the money that most people will not pay. And it really happens! I saw a guy sell an FT-897 for more then a new FT-897D sold for. Later, I saw him come back from one of the new equipment dealers with the new FT-897D. Not only was it paid for by the sucker, but the seller actually had enough left over that he bought a dual band HT as well. Basically traded 1 used radio for 2 new radios. So as long as there are those suckers out there, the high price speculation by sellers will always be there.

The short take is the best deals go early, and the suckers will keep prices high.

As for the junk, I always wondered how many basements they live in over the years before someone throws it away, or actually puts it to use. Remember all those WW II command sets that almost everyone seemed to have for sale? Don't see many anymore. Where did they all go? And I bet they sat on tables many times before their demise.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: