Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Outlet New Castle, Delaware  (Read 16383 times)
N2JZ

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:17:53 PM »

I travel to my office in Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland from central New Jersey twice a week. When I found out that there was an HRO in Delaware on the way I was delighted. I purchased several items there, the most recent of which wass a Yaesu FT-8800R 2 meter/440 transciever. I inadvertently ordered the remoting kit for an additional $50 or so when it turned out it was freely offered as a promotional. Ken from the Delaware HRO called me on the phone and promptly brought this to my attention and credited my credit card account. A great group of guys there.....Kudos to them! I plan to use HRO in New Castle Delaware as my primary source for ham radio gear!

Mike N2JZ
WA2AAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

I have use them many time. They are a good bunch of guys at that store.

Bob
WA2AAR
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »

HRO New Castle is ok, It was originally Delaware Amateur Supply. Paul and Robby owned and ran it. They were knowledgeable as well as helpful. The HRO Crowd never has been that friendly. I think that if they were to offer to check or test an antenna install one a new antenna I would have heart failure. The original owners offered advice and help freely all the time. I miss that level of service. Granted, I've purchased radios and antennas from them it's a corporate store all the same.

All the same I'm glad your happy with your purchases there. Delaware, the no sales tax  helps also.

Tom Kb3hg
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »

HRO New Castle is ok, It was originally Delaware Amateur Supply. Paul and Robby owned and ran it. They were knowledgeable as well as helpful. The HRO Crowd never has been that friendly. I think that if they were to offer to check or test an antenna install one a new antenna I would have heart failure. The original owners offered advice and help freely all the time. I miss that level of service. Granted, I've purchased radios and antennas from them it's a corporate store all the same.

All the same I'm glad your happy with your purchases there. Delaware, the no sales tax  helps also.

Tom Kb3hg

HRO has been there for 19 years. What decade are you talking about?
N3EON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

I purchased a Kenwood transceiver from the New Castle HRO as well as sold them used equipment.  They are professional, friendly and honest.  Ken, the manager, is excellent to deal with as is Bob who sold me the transceiver 13 years ago.  They take their time and explain things clearly.  They don't rush their customers.  I would not hesitate to recommend the New Castle HRO for its  outstanding customer service and staff knowledge of products.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:45:40 AM »

Not to derail this thread, but if I could work at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, I'd consider coming out of retirement!  What a neat place to work at!   Grin
N0JYC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »

I'm glad the majority have had positive experiences here.  However, I have been to this store a half dozen or more times when in New Castle on business.  I've never had a positive experience in the store.  Each time I found the staff unfriendly or just plain unconcerned that I was there.  I was ignored.  Additionally, there  always seemed to be  the strong odor of cigar smoke hanging in the air.  Not a smell I'd want in my gear.

On the other hand all of my mail order business with HRO has been top notch professional.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »

Additionally, there  always seemed to be  the strong odor of cigar smoke hanging in the air.  Not a smell I'd want in my gear.
[/quote]

Could be because they are next door to a large tobacco outlet store.

Pete, wa2cwa
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »

...never noticed the cigar smoke, and I don't smoke either. I have had good buying experiences there over the years....most of the time.  Bob has always been good to me, but there was one guy there who was very smug and condescending...I think he's gone now.

Good place to do business.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »

I've always found the guys at HRO in Delaware to be friendly, helpful, and extremely accommodating with a couple of problems I had regarding defective gear purchased there.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »

Additionally, there  always seemed to be  the strong odor of cigar smoke hanging in the air.  Not a smell I'd want in my gear.

Pete, wa2cwa
[/quote]
ahhh a nice cold beer and a cigar on a hot day.
N3AEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:10 AM »

I live almost exactly between the Woodbridge, VA and New Castle, DE stores.  I've been to both and I find it's hit or miss.  Somethings they're very helpful and sometimes they will totally ignore you.  I stopped in at the VA store two weeks ago and was actually greeted as I walked in and asked if they could help me.  Other times they will totally ignore me while they're talking personal stuff with other people in the store.

Overall, I prefer the DE store since it's tax-free.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »

Pete, wa2cwa
ahhh a nice cold beer and a cigar on a hot day.

[/quote]

I do not think you are allowed to smoke indoors in DE. It is not cigar smoke. It is likely exhaust smoke from the Italian food place next door.
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:28 PM »

Hi,
    I've ordered a lot of stuff via the Internet from this store and have always been very happy with them.  They have also been helpful on the phone.   I have never had the opportunity to visit the store in person, but always thought I would be like a kid in a candy store!

KB3MDT
Ken
K3SSB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 05:19:08 AM »

I to visit this location when in the Delmarva area on business. I agree that interacting with the staff can be a hit and miss proposition... sometimes friendly, sometimes not so much.

IMHO... this store would benefit from a complete demolition, fresh paint, lighting and flooring would make it an inviting environment in which to do business.  I've never visited another HRO location, but I can't imagine that they are all as shabby as this store.

Enough said...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: