About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tentec  (Read 3394 times)
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:41 AM »

Sounds like they are not moving down the road, "Fixtures, furniture, chairs..... it all goes.... "

Quite often when a company moves they buy new furniture.  It makes the move easier by having the new offices all set up before the move and is a chance to get rid of a hodge podge collection of the old stuff.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »

I had a very similar experience.  I bought gasoline at $3.25 last week.  Now it's down to $3.15 and they refuse to help.

I did worse than that.  Bought gasoline in June for $4.59/gallon, now it's $3.49/gallon for the same stuff.

I asked if the gas station would credit me the difference for my June gas, and the guy said he would gladly actually refund the price of the gas I bought it June if I could return it and validate/verify that it was from June. Smiley

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »

I suspect they are downsizing. Most of the prior upper management is gone.  I'd bet they are moving into much smaller and more economical space in an industrial park. They probably don't have the room for the excess materials or office equipment. They closed down their machine shop: that means milling machines, sheers, metal brakes, etc. are now surplus, as well as materials.  That inventory took up a lot of space and inventory... and how much was duplicated by RF Concepts?

I am looking forward to a leaner, meaner Ten Tec.  I suspect the changes will result in some disappointments, but I would not count them out of the running.  The owners of RF Concepts would not have invested time and resources in Tec Ten just to shutter the operation.

My gut feeling is that Ten Tec has to become more competitive with  Elecraft; while maintaining their own identity.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »

This sort of thing happens ANYTIME a company moves from one location to another -- be it downsizing or expanding.

Some furniture, fixtures, and inventory are just not worth the bother of moving.  Some of it has been replaced with new stuff.  Some is surplus or idle items.  Some of it is obsolete and no longer needed.

The real question is, why are there a handful of people who are determined to make a routine location move into doom and gloom for the entire company? 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 05:31:06 AM »

The real question is, why are there a handful of people who are determined to make a routine location move into doom and gloom for the entire company?  

Oh man, you nailed it.  I'm sure glad Kenwood survived their previous demise, as reported here.  Those experts were convinced that Kenwood was toast because you know....if a new HF rig hasn't been introduced in a while, that company surely is having problems.  Then came the TS-990S.  Whew, that was a close one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:38:06 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »

Bought my Eagle last spring at the "old" price....thought it was a great radio for the money and still love it.

As to the move, they are moving up the hill right behind the old site.  I think some folks parked there last year during the TT hamfest.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

the move... the initial announcements said they had outgrown their original (40+ years) space and were moving essentially down the road.  I expect they will reconfigure the new facility based on what they have learned.  and I don't know about your stuff, but we have 30+ year old chairs and modular furniture, and it's beatersville.
KE4IED

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »

Embarrassed I bought a Tentec Eagle at the old price and got STUCK big time!! They had no discounts or anything to offer to these unlucky people who fell into that category. So for that reason, I am done with Tentec and their products.

I feel your pain. I bought my Eagle about 45 days before the sale, so I was outside the 30 day return window. My understanding was that the sale was only going to be for a month, and then it became the whole summer. Summer is now over, and the sale is still going, so it looks like the prices will be more permanent now.

I understand prices change. Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom are always playing the game with the rebates. However, the differences are usually around $50 - $200. I bought an FT-857D at HRO and the very next weekend it was $50 cheaper. The difference between the old and new price for the Eagle was at least $700!!!!  For those that bought an Omni VII, even higher. So no, I don't find the gasoline analogy to be accurate at all.

I would not expect a refund. Ten Tec makes a great radio, and I'm sure with the merger, there's a new crew running the ship. For people who paid the much higher price a month or two before the sale, it would be a nice if they did something. Extended the warranty another year, a coupon towards another radio or accessory, a coffee mug and hat, at least some kind of gesture. Many HAMs were put in the dog house by the XYL for buying the thing, at least throw them a bone!  Grin
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 01:50:38 AM »

But there is the problem. How far back do you go? If Tentec goes back 30 days, then someone will be at 31 days. So no matter when you make the cut off, someone is not going to be happy.

Why do people feel that they "deserve" something because they purchased something that then went on sale?

And yes, the gas analogy is the same. You buy it, and the price goes down...which is happening a lot lately...do you really feel you deserve to get a refund from the gas station for that? You see it really is the same thing. Its just sour grapes that the amount of money is larger and the perception that it makes a difference.

Lets look at this as well. Say AES closes out a product for what ever reason, and lowers the price substantially. How many people "deserve" that price? Everyone that bought it? Some of them that bought it? Or just those who bought the actual units closed out?

Tentec drew there line in the sand as far as pricing and when the time period to which they would apply the sale prices. So anything outside that time period is what it is. And to whine about it is not going to change a thing. Just like the whining to come when they raise their prices back up again and people feel they should get the sale price even though the sale is over.

When does the whining end? Man up people.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 03:23:28 AM »

I’ve bought plenty of things that went on sale a day/week/month/etc. after I bought ‘em.  Sure didn’t make me happy, but like other posters on this thread just chalked it up to tough luck.   And I don’t think a consolation coupon, coffee mug, hat, etc. would make folks who figured they “lost” $700 happy at all, and  would likely tick them off even more….. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: