Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Control Shutdown/Timeout Device  (Read 18809 times)
N5BCN

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »

I was wondering what hams are using at their remote site to automatically shut down their transmitting rig if something goes haywire.

Most info I've found are homebrewed relay switches of some sort.  Is there a commercial solution or some other technique?

Thanks,
N5BCN, Brian
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

Hi Brian,

I use a couple of Digital Loggers Web Power switches to control the AC power at my remote station.  My 12v power supply, amplifier, and tuner can all be turn on/off through the internet.

Here is the link to the switches.  http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

Good luck

de Dave NB3R
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, those devices look very useful.

One concern, however, is the contingency of losing the internet connection.  I would imagine that if the internet went down at either the remote site or the local site the transceiver could be put into an "unknown" state if in the middle of a qso.  An internet-controlled power switch wouldn't help in this situation.

I found an internet article regarding a ham who devised a controller that looked for a steady carrier that was "stuck on" for a certain amount of time.  The controller would then trip a relay which cut power to the rig.  Unfortunately, building such a device is beyond my capabilities.

N5BCN, Brian
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »

I use a Kenwood TS-480HX for my remote station.  The free Kenwood rig control software for the TS-480 has  a menu item that allows you to set a transmit time after which the radio will shut down.  It doesn't turn the power supply off however.  I believe I set my timeout for 20 minutes.  If the station loses the internet connection while in the transmit mode it will terminate the transmission 20 minutes after the start of the transmission. 
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »

I use a Kenwood TS-480HX for my remote station.  The free Kenwood rig control software for the TS-480 has  a menu item that allows you to set a transmit time after which the radio will shut down.  It doesn't turn the power supply off however.  I believe I set my timeout for 20 minutes.  If the station loses the internet connection while in the transmit mode it will terminate the transmission 20 minutes after the start of the transmission.  
Which is not inline with remotely controlled station rules...if you lose control, the station is supposed to terminate transmission in 3 mins....not 20...see Part 97.213(b) Provisions are incorporated to limit transmission by the station to a period of no more than 3 minutes in the event of malfunction in the control link.

In internet remote control, best to have a watchdog timer that pulses the box at the remote site every two mins...if the box fails to see a simple ping or whatever, terminate transmitter..

Best thing to do for dialup is monitor loop current or listen for dialtone..or look for loss of line voltage in CPC (Calling Party disconnect Control)...if it sees it go away, cut the transmitter....radio station monitor dial up boxes use this all the time..so do answer machines (for those who dont use voicemail)...its a 300ms loss of voltage and current on the line when the distant party hangs up.....however, if the Central Office screws up, the line could stay locked on...

best to have dial up for backup to the internet or a UHF rcvr so someone local can terminate it for you
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:23:20 PM by WB5ITT » Logged
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info, those devices look very useful.

One concern, however, is the contingency of losing the internet connection.  I would imagine that if the internet went down at either the remote site or the local site the transceiver could be put into an "unknown" state if in the middle of a qso.  An internet-controlled power switch wouldn't help in this situation.

I found an internet article regarding a ham who devised a controller that looked for a steady carrier that was "stuck on" for a certain amount of time.  The controller would then trip a relay which cut power to the rig.  Unfortunately, building such a device is beyond my capabilities.

N5BCN, Brian
Steady carrier is a misnomer if you are running SSB....what carrier?? Its 40-50db down so good luck.....there is a way to monitor the PTT of the radio internally and with a 555 or similar timer, if it see the radio in xmit for longer than set time (3mins to keep within the rules), it would kill power to the radio or reboot everything.....The ACC Shackmaster SM100 back in the 80s had over the air or phone line remote control....but limited the xmtr to 3 mins unless it saw a particular DTMF digit once within the time setting...if such a digit didnt appear, the transmitter was turned off...(for those wanting to talk longer than 3 mins, get a tape recorder and talk to yourself...or listen to Rush Limbaugh lol)
K9AQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »

Brian,

I have a TS-480HX and have set the timeout timer for 3 minutes, but I also wanted to be able to shutdown my entire station.  I use a Ramsey DC12 DTMF decoder, which I have connected to my office telephone line.  The DTMF decoder is then connected to a Lowell RPC-1 remote power switch.

I have been using that configuration for about three years.  I later found a much lower cost power switch. http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx  These sell for about $30. 

Don
K9AQ
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:02 AM »

WB5ITT "...if you lose control, the station is supposed to terminate transmission in 3 mins....not 20...see Part 97.213(b) Provisions are incorporated to limit transmission by the station to a period of no more than 3 minutes in the event of malfunction in the control link."

Thanks for reminding me.  I should have known better!
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »

Buy a X10 telephone responder and an X10 power relay module.  Don't trust the internet for absolute shut-down.  Lots of things can happen, router fails, etc, etc.  The telephone line is the most reliable connection there is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: