Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio desk/rack  (Read 26432 times)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 04:14:00 AM »

WOW very nice. Reminds me of the Collins Desk that I once owned.  I am surprised that nobody has offered this style of desk again.

.....A rack-mounted station is sort of a fantasy of mine - or one of those video editing rack desks - those are really pretty neat if you like the commercial look.

I realize that this thread is quite old, but wanted to comment on the video editing desk idea.  I agree.  I recently completed installing my equipment in a modified non-linear editing desk which is perfect for ham equipment - if the equipment is fairly modern and you don't have a lot of rigs or accessories! The rigs are angled down at 45 degrees which makes for easy operating, the desk height is 27 3/4" for easy CW and keyboarding, and the monitors are below eye level to avoid neck cranking.   I cut the bezels out of cheap vinyl sheet and didn't use the rack rails since none of my equipment had rack mounts or was rack width.  The 3 bays can hold just about any equipment from a Alpha 9500 to a FTdx9000, IC7800 or TS990.  Howard W6HDG

W6HDG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

Thanks very much for the nice comments.  I am really enjoying the desk.  I am trying to talk the vendor into making this into a commercial "hamdesk" model.  But because the cost would be over $1k, I'm wondering if that might nix it for most hams.  Many NLE workstations are over $5K so its all relative I guess....

73, Howard W6HDG
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »

Look into getting a used office desk, wooden not steel, one with drawers on both sides of the desk including one file drawer.  Then build a hutch above the back half of the desk using melamine shelving or a couple of half doors that you can get from any home building supply store.

That's exactly what I did. Picked up a steel frame, wooden top office desk for $35 and used some 3/4" melamine shelving from Home Depot cut to size. Use lots of support braces under the shelving, the weight on top of it will add up quickly.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »

Here is a picture of the $499 RTA Studio Producer I mentioned a few posts back. I also posted a picture of my RTA Studio Producer in my shack loaded with gear.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »

Mine isn't as elegant as shown above.
I bought an old oak desk many years ago from a surplus office/school equipment store.

Several years ago I took the top off, split it in half and used the two end drawer units to support
a wood grain finish (8 foot) kitchen counter top. I found a used metal two drawer file cabinet to support the center.

I built some 1x12 shelving.
I have been using this system since around 1988.

73, Rick - N8XI
W6HDG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 07:18:11 AM »

Here is a picture of the $499 RTA Studio Producer I mentioned a few posts back. I also posted a picture of my RTA Studio Producer in my shack loaded with gear.

The RTA Studio desk doesn't seem to angle the main equipment downward, but it really is a bargain at the price and holds an awful lot of equipment!  You did really well.  And oooooh - 3 monitors!   Enjoy.

Howard W6HDG
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »

The RTA Studio desk doesn't seem to angle the main equipment downward, but it really is a bargain at the price and holds an awful lot of equipment!  You did really well.  And oooooh - 3 monitors!   Enjoy.

Howard W6HDG

Thank you. I like yours very much also! You did a wonderful job and have one of the nicest stations I have ever seen.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »

Link to the homemade operating positions at the N2MO station.   Legs are cut-down workbench scrap pulled out of the dumpster, tops are re-finished workbenches.    Risers are made from salvaged MDF desk sections.

http://www.n2mo.org/temp/9116_radio_room_one.jpg

Warning:  40 MB Panoramic Image!!  Click at the risk to your bandwidth cap.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »

If price were no object (and I lived in the house of the future)

http://www.winsted.com/l3_customenvironments_talon.htm

Just the thing for that new Flex 6500...
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 10:39:36 AM »

Mine's still a work in progress. Most of it's built out of pallets and scrap plywood. I did splurge on the top, bamboo flooring, and picked up the cabinet door and drawer front at a scrap barn. It's really deep and have over 3' at that corner to push the radio back and about 2' for the rest. I'm thinking of building a shelf from the left side to the feedline service entrance to put a tuner/watt meter and maybe the 2m and 6m units - and a YC-601B if I can ever find a decent one, (I didn't want a lot of vertical clutter and the ceiling vault makes it claustrophobic enough as it is). I have a few 15 amp outlets and two dedicated 20A.

If I had to do over - it would be downstairs in the spare bedroom, but the way the kids sporadically move back in and the wife demanding a sewing room - this works. I debated on installing another cabinet, but didn't want to make it a bench area, so just need enough storage for operating stuff and manuals.

Computer? I have a dual screen downstairs that I hardly use; my goto seems to be either my 13" screen laptop or even smaller tablet anymore, so I didn't even plan for it. OS like Win 8 with tactile screens are probably the way of the future. I have enough room to fit a 101 station.

WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 07:42:10 AM »

Scott, I really admire your handy work. The whole room , not just the desk. Color combinations , flooring and desk arraignment is really nice. I like the exit in the wall for the ladder line too.  I have no talent for color and style decisions. Even though I can do the work.  If it were not for my two daughters, God only knows what I would come up with on my own.  Grin  Job well done.
  Max
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »

If real rack hardware is what you are after, check eBay and use the search term "Winsted".   We picked this set up for use at the EME position at N2MO:

Cost was around $100.00 per bay

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:23:32 PM by W2RWJ » Logged
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »

If real rack hardware is what you are after, check eBay and use the search term "Winsted".   We picked this set up for use at the EME position at N2MO:

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

Including shipping?
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »

Including shipping?
We picked it up in Hawley PA, dropped off in Wall, NJ was about $80.00 in tolls and fuel
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: