Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyway to check your CW going out?  (Read 5435 times)
KT4DLB

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »

I have been on 80, 40, and 15 meters at night and its like my CW is not getting out. Is there anyway I can verify that my signal is getting out. Any help or suggestions will greatly appreciated.

Lamar
KK4NZO
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:57:29 AM »

There is a very easy way to check this. There is something called the "Reverse Beacon Network". This is a collection of "CW skimmers" that decipher callsigns and then POST what the skimmer (a SDR) is hearing. You type in your callsign and if one of the many skimmers around the world HEARD you, it will post your call, frequency, SIGNAL STRENGTH AT THE SKIMMER, and CW speed. But the skimmer must understand your fist, often bug or straight key sending is not understood.

Here is the site http://www.reversebeacon.net/srch.php.

I typed in your call and found nothing. I typed in mine and found dozens from last night alone. Maybe the skimmers did not understand your fist, or maybe they did not hear you?

paul
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »

I'm using West Mountain Plug n Play to send and recieve. I usually have it set to send at about 18 to 22 wpm. I will continue to try and see if I can make contact with someone then. Thank you.

Thanks & 73's

Lamar
KK4NZO
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »

If this Plug n Play thing is sending out good CW that a computer can decipher then I think something IS wrong with your transmitter/antenna system. Those Skimmers can pick up almost anything. The "look" for a "CQ" and then that tells them it is worth spotting.

paul
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

Well I have changed out my antenna from a G5RV to a Hustler 5BTV. I will check into the antenna side of it then.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »

Lamar:

Most hams have an SWR meter between the transmitter and antenna.  If the SWR is good then it's pretty safe to assume that you are putting a signal on the air. 

If you have an SWR meter that has a power measuring function and it shows the rated output power of your transmitter, then you can pretty well bet the outhouse that you're putting a signal on the air.

If you have a second receiver of some kind, you can check your signal with that.  Better yet, if you have a ham living close by, have them check your signal.

It should be remembered that this is a question that has been asked millions of times from the days of spark..... long before "reverse beacons!"

Other possibilities are: Operator error.  Are you listening to the frequency you're transmitting on?  Do you have the controls of the receiver set properly?  Is it possible your sending is so bad that nobody wants to talk to you?  (I've heard many signals on the air that I wished the operator had ask himself this very question!)

N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »

www.reversebeacon.net
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »

Hi To you all

Try if you can hear your signal on websdr.org

Or call or mail one of your ham friends and make a sked to test your signal.

http://websdr.org/

73 Jos
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »

Use a CPO or your rig set up to just play the side tone without transmitting.  Record your fist and play it back.  Send a magazine article or book backward.  Check your copy on your own fist.  If you have a hard time copying yourself, others will as well.  Lots of ops concentrate on CW reception and never hear their own fist.  It is enlightening.

73, JP, K8AG
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »

i think he uses a computer to send his code, it should be pretty good.

paul
K5JYD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »

Thanks for the tip on that reverse beacon thing. I plugged my call in and was saw that my puny 90w cw had been picked up by 5 different skimmers yesterday while I was on 30 and 40 meters. Thats cool !
k5jyd
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

Very cool. Yesterday my puny 25w was picked up by 2 of them on 30m. I cant see the point of the DX Cluster and the like, but I can see the point of the RBN skimmers to check where you are getting to.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »

I cant see the point of the DX Cluster and the like, but I can see the point of the RBN skimmers to check where you are getting to.

The RBN Skimmers basically ARE a DX Cluster, but the beauty of it is that if your neighbor has a skimmer, you can link to his skimmer network and find out what his radios (and presumably your radios) are hearing. Put those spots in a bandmap and BOOM, your own personal DX Cluster with click-and-shoot DX stations.

Not that this is a good thing. But now you know how it IS a DX Cluster.

paul
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »

Run the g5rv during daylight and the vert at night for best mileage especially on 40..A second receiver with an open antenna terminal should give you a nice monitor signal.Add a very short length of wire if too weak.
BOYSCLUBRADIO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

yep.. use a simple wave meter... or FS meter... but your SWR checker should also do the trick... look for the needle swing.   as to transmittion  strength at the recieveing end.. no way to tell except for the other guy... sorry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: