Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W3LPL robo has a new feature  (Read 2152 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »

There is a weird new feature on the drone W3LPL spotter network. It is now saying in the comment section "heard in (different states)" like UT, MA, LA ect. Anyone know what the deal is. Is Frank screwing with our minds again?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »

Saw that too. He is probably adding in some code that takes the spotter state from the stateside RBN stations and puts it in the comment field.

ex W4HFK
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »

I wondered if perhaps he had his computer catch the call the DX was communicating with.

Quite honestly, I have no idea how the whole thing works.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

Jeez, I'd be tickled pink of the damned RBN system could just stop busting stateside calls (CW ops CQing with bad fists). My alarms for C5 have been going off all year for busted KC5s that show up on the cluster from automatic stations. Either that or someone just go to The Gambia and activate it so I can get my Marathon point and stop the damned false alarms.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »

Jeez, I'd be tickled pink of the damned RBN system could just stop busting stateside calls (CW ops CQing with bad fists). My alarms for C5 have been going off all year for busted KC5s that show up on the cluster from automatic stations. Either that or someone just go to The Gambia and activate it so I can get my Marathon point and stop the damned false alarms.

I would expect (from past several years) C5A to be activated for CQ WW CW this fall.

I think the same group sometimes use C50C in the warmup.

On CW at least, this is an example where instead of letting any C5* show up in your filter, you probably want to only let known activations show up.

Phone activations by more casual visitors may be more common (don't know, I don't do phone!)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »

I would expect (from past several years) C5A to be activated for CQ WW CW this fall.

I think the same group sometimes use C50C in the warmup.

On CW at least, this is an example where instead of letting any C5* show up in your filter, you probably want to only let known activations show up.

Phone activations by more casual visitors may be more common (don't know, I don't do phone!)

C5A and C50A gave me 6 bands last year. I'd love to get the remaining three  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »

Amen... Skimmers all over kept busting IS0BOY as S0BOY , he apparently uses a bug and his fist is awful.  My alarms went off for S0, and he gets pileups thinking he is in S0.
I created an overide in DX Keeper, so IS0BOY is not from the USA Wink

Several americans in Tennessee were signing w4XXX/TN  , using slash TN to designate Tennessee , but of course our spotting networks and logging software see this as a TN station

Have not created an overide for that one yet, hard to do.

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »

Yeah, I get a crapload of those /TN and similar county busts. I just wish there was an easy way of blanket disabling the /whatevers by default and then entering in anything known valid for a real DXpedition.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

Easy enough to spot that sort of thing. If there's only one spot, I don't bother.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:43:34 AM »

I wish he would just stop. It's super lame to feed robot spots into the cluster. If he wants to make his own cluster node, awesome.. go for it. But to constantly feed his cluster QRM into nodes is beyond stupid.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29:32 AM »

Use your "Lid Filter" and stop the problem.
73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: