Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WAZ questions  (Read 1863 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »

After getting my DXCC safely in hand and having enough confirmed QSOs to get the CW endorsement, I suppose my next target will be WAZ. But I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to apply LotW confirmations to WAZ or to I have to reconfirm some WAZ credits by QSL cards?
2. I am missing zones 1, 22, 26, and 29. The first three look tough. The last one looks super-tough. Is this true or do any DXpeditions ever go to zone 29?

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »

After getting my DXCC safely in hand and having enough confirmed QSOs to get the CW endorsement, I suppose my next target will be WAZ. But I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to apply LotW confirmations to WAZ or to I have to reconfirm some WAZ credits by QSL cards?
No. Not yet, at least, though it's being promised for some time down the road. They do accept eQSL confirmations (provided the other guy is AG status), whereas the ARRL does not.

2. I am missing zones 1, 22, 26, and 29. The first three look tough. The last one looks super-tough. Is this true or do any DXpeditions ever go to zone 29?
Zone 29 is very easy. There are many active hams in Western Australia (VK6). Zone 1 is easy too (Alaska). Zone 22 is basically India, Sri Lanka and the Maldives (plus a few others). Not too hard at this time of year but you need more than a wire at 25' off the ground or a poorly installed vertical. Many very good ops in India but the path can be problematic. Zone 26 will be the hardest of the four you mentioned, with your best chance being Thailand (HS0). Many Thai operators are on, and look for them on 15 and 17 most days around 11am to 1pm our time (NJ).

GL.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:30:11 PM »

1. LoTW is not yet good for WAZ. CQ says they're working on it. However, eQSL.cc most certainly is. You do need AG status which is easy (email a scanned copy of your ticket) and bronze status which is $5/year.

2. Zone 29? VK6 will do. Otherwise you're looking at Cocos (Keeling) which just had a DXpedition, Christmas Island or parts of Antarctica.

You can check the zones and what countries are in each zone here:

http://www4.plala.or.jp/nomrax/CQ/index.html
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »

FWIW, I got WAZ thru eQSL using AG certified contacts. No cards needed. I had to work 3 or 4 JT stations to get one AG to get my last zone. All in all, I think WAZ is a tougher award to get than DXCC. Now that I have 8BDXCC, I may start working on 5B WAZ.

73, N4KZ
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »

Zone 29 is very easy. There are many active hams in Western Australia (VK6). Zone 1 is easy too (Alaska).
For some reason, I've never been able to reach Alaska yet. Being a lazy slob, I operate almost all CW and monitor the spotting networks and RBN for what I need. Everybody in Alaska always seems to be QRT by the time I get around to looking.Can't understand it since they are only four hours behind us.

But at least I'm seeing some spots in the other three zones I need. I checked RBN for zone 29 tonight. Zero spots.

Well, I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and eaaaaaaarn it...  Wink

73, -WX2S.

P.S. BTW, you missed a good NJFPS meeting last Thursday. There was another ham there, a boatanchor enthusiast. One of these days let's go early and we'll do the CW endorsement over a couple of good stogies.  Grin -S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »

FWIW, I got WAZ thru eQSL using AG certified contacts. No cards needed. I had to work 3 or 4 JT stations to get one AG to get my last zone.
I never signed up for eQSL since the ARRL doesn't accept it. Now I guess I will.

73, -WX2S.

73, - Steve WX2S.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

I have 26 as the only unworked. Now getting all confirmed is the next thing. I hear 26 but the double length G5RV has trouble getting 26 but it will happen soon. I hope.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »

For some reason, I've never been able to reach Alaska yet. Being a lazy slob, I operate almost all CW and monitor the spotting networks and RBN for what I need. Everybody in Alaska always seems to be QRT by the time I get around to looking. Can't understand it since they are only four hours behind us.

There are more of them on in contests, plus it's not the easiest part of the world to work, but check DX Summit for when most KLs are being spotted by W1/2/3s. You may hear a few on in the All Asia contest as well.

But at least I'm seeing some spots in the other three zones I need. I checked RBN for zone 29 tonight. Zero spots.
They're our antipode and are more greyline based than anything. Again, a little research should yield a few hints. If all else fails, I think there's a DX net (SPIT!) that has a few of them in our mornings. If there is, listen, see if you can hear them and when the net closes, move in for the kill. That's how I got my first VK6 with a wire/500W, to tell you the truth!

P.S. BTW, you missed a good NJFPS meeting last Thursday. There was another ham there, a boatanchor enthusiast. One of these days let's go early and we'll do the CW endorsement over a couple of good stogies.  Grin -S.

I met him last month, in fact. Nice guy, although we were at opposite sides of the table. I was doing stuff at home and couldn't get away this week.  I can show up early for the June pipe club meeting to do your CW cards, no problem, then stay for the pipe club afterwards. With the nice WX back here I'm smoking fewer pipe bowls and more cigars again, but I still like some classic Frog Morton on occasion.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »

For some reason, I've never been able to reach Alaska yet. Being a lazy slob, I operate almost all CW and monitor the spotting networks and RBN for what I need. Everybody in Alaska always seems to be QRT by the time I get around to looking.Can't understand it since they are only four hours behind us.

Look for Alaska during the NAQP or November Sweepstakes. You're sure to find at least one.

I worked Alaska mobile during the solar minimum so it isn't that hard.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 05:31:53 AM »

Thanks and 73,
- Steve WX2S.

When I got my WAZ award, I simply sent a COPY of the ARRL DXCC Printout, with the WAZ application,  showing I had worked and confirmed those entities which comprised the 40 zones.
I don't use EQSL, and never will, but that's a personal choice.  
When you have worked all 40 zones and they have been accepted for DXCC by ARRL, send a copy of your DXCC print out to CQ.
GL/73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:37:18 AM by AF3Y » Logged
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »

I have all 40 zones confirmed on eQsl

So how do I go about applying Huh

I submitted the credits on the eQsl page to CQ, do I now print the application form and fill it in and send it along with some cash.

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

Trevor,
See: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awards/cq_waz_awards/index_cq_waz_award.html

Also: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awards/cq_on_line_confirmation/cq_on_line_confirmations.html

The CQ awards manager, N5FG, is very nice to deal with, so e-mail him if you have questions after looking at the above web references.

Chuck  NI0C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »

KC4AAA is in zone 29.  In fact KC4AAA counts for a total of seven zones, 12, 13, 29, 30, 32, 38, and 39.

Jonathan W6GX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 05:14:02 AM »

In fact KC4AAA counts for a total of seven zones, 12, 13, 29, 30, 32, 38, and 39.

I'm almost positive that you have to pick one of the seven zones for a KC4AAA QSO, so you couldn't count it for all seven zones.

Nevertheless, it is interesting that you can work all 40 CQ zones by working less than 40 countries.  Off the top of my head, you could get WAZ with only 33 countries, if you worked Canadians for zones 1-5; Asiatic Russia for 17, 18, and 19; and China for zones 23 and 24.

Typically, though, people don't qualify for WAZ until they've gotten well over 200 countries. 

Chuck  NI0C
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »

VK6DU complained that none of the RBNs heard him CQing on 3518 this morning...  

Zack W1VT
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: